New Ackie & monitor UVB question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops!

I have everyone under uv as most places say it’s beneficial! Soooo much conflicting information!

Regardless, I guess it can’t hurt, so they’ll stay under it but it’s food for thought when the bulbs age..
Yup I don't know who to believe haha

To be honest, you will have people arguing over uv or not long after we have all moved on. You will find people keeping monitors in both camps. I personally sit in the uv camp but understand why some dont. If you can provide natural sunlight do it, its really best.
Ive found most people don't really have a good understanding of UV requirements or supplementation so just do one or both blindly, which can end badly either way.

To be honest, you will have people arguing over uv or not long after we have all moved on. You will find people keeping monitors in both camps. I personally sit in the uv camp but understand why some dont. If you can provide natural sunlight do it, its really best.
Ive found most people don't really have a good understanding of UV requirements or supplementation so just do one or both blindly, which can end badly either way.
Thanks Bushfire. Just to be safe i'll definitely get a stronger UV light.

Ackies would sit in the 3 - 4 ferg. zone so I wouldnt provide over 7 on the UV Index scale at the basking site. Some UV bulbs at recommend distances can punch over 20 and yes the UV Index is the same index used to tell people the days uv rating.

I've provided ackies with and without uv and seen no noticeable difference. I do use uv on them now but only turn that light on over the warmer mths. Food whise. Woodies / weaner mice and a bit of roo mince. I think alot of people keep them too cold I've seen alot of fat ackies, my ambient temps are 35 to 40 + degrees and i make sure i have a 70 + basking spot and food everywhere when there in season. If there temps are right they will do well in my experience anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Wanted to chime in real quick...

UV is as we all know a hotly contested subject, cant say for sure, but I've seen some evidence of it's benefits in coloration with other species. I bought a 40 dollar Jeweled Lacerta hatchling with very avg looking parents a while back, and over the course of two years under a mercury vapor bulb with a varied diet, it grew into arguably one of the most stunning high blue green adults I've ever seen. Following suit with my new juvenile Ackie so I guess we'll see!

Jeweled Lacerta pics..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Luym5eq6135tr3hH2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back