Tree monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freckle1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys just wondering if there are tree monitors readily available to buy in aus? Like speckled or emerald?

Not the emerald tree monitor. By speckled, do you mean spotted? There are some keepers of them, and one on here that I know of.

Yeah must of meant spotted
[doublepost=1518746125,1518735853][/doublepost]So the spotteds are quite uncommon in the hobby?

All depends on which species you are referring to when you say tree monitors. We have a fair few species of monitor here in Australia which you could classify as 'tree monitors' (broadly speaking due to their more arboreal habits), with most to the exception of the canopy goanna (Varanus keithhornei) being kept in captivity at varying levels of availability.

Probably the two most common and easiest to obtain 'tree monitors' in Australia would be the black headed monitor (Varanus tristis tristis) and the pygmy mulga monitor (Varanus gilleni). Stripe-tailed monitor (Varanus caudolineatus), Bush's monitor (Varanus bushi), freckled monitor (Varanus tristis orietalis) and spotted tree monitors (Varanus scalaris) are all available and kept, but all are a bit more difficult to come across and may require you a bit of investigation to find someone who is breeding them or has an adult they're willing to sell. I was fortunate recently to have a friend of mine breed his spotted tree monitors so I was able to pick up a hatchling from him. As mentioned above emerald monitors (Varanus prasinus) are kept in Australia, however they are currently restricted to only a handful of collections and are not readily available yet. The people who have them are aiming to breed them up and release to the public, it may just be a while until they do so.

Hopefully this helps you.

Cheers, Cameron

Yes thank you very much I guess I’ll have to hunt down some spotted monitors some how haha

I have a male V.mitchelli that I will need to sell in the next year or two. They are basically a type of tree monitor that lives near water.

I have a male V.mitchelli that I will need to sell in the next year or two. They are basically a type of tree monitor that lives near water.
Have u had any luck breeding them. Not too many seem to have bred them in recent years

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

V.mitchelli are some of my favourite monitors, not that i could afford one ofc, lol.
[doublepost=1519000896,1519000790][/doublepost]Also, emerald tree monitors, spotted tree monitors, canopy goannas and lacies are the largish species that i'd classify as "tree monitors" to some extent. Though, lacies also spend some time on the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back