Man fined $10,000 for killing 'iconic' croc

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crocs or cows? There are solutions other then pumping the natives full of lead. They were here first - we're not entitled to an exception to the rules just because the crocodile is eating cows, which, by the way, we have no evidence of. I remember your recent thread on blueys - what if everyone whipped out their .22 and starting blasting the blueys for eating dog food on the verandah?

Based on your logic, Kev, I could shoot your dog if I found it on my property. It might have, was planning to, attack my chickens.
Of course you could and rightully so. I've a mate who shot his neighbour's 3 dogs for killing lambs on his property.

And as the old saying goes, there's always exceptions to the "rules." The rogue croc is gone now, end of story.
Rouge - "a wild animal having savage or destructive tendencies." Is eating savage or destructive? You put cows in croc country, you're basically serving it up to them on a plate. I'm not a rouge human because I had one of those hot roast chickens from Woolies on Friday.

Crocodiles can climb a sturdy fence now?? Sounds like they didn’t have a perimeter fence set up and croc just strolled on in

Based on your logic, Kev, I could shoot your dog if I found it on my property. It might have, was planning to, attack my chickens.

This happens pretty often outside the city, getting killed by 1080 is probably more common than getting shot though. Even in the city tresspassing cats are not safe in many yards.

I can't believe all the crap in defence of an illegal act killing a beautiful native animal that had survived for decades, he should have been fined $200,000 and spent gaol time and that would be a deterrent to his redneck mates at the local. If you choose to farm animals or grow crops in an environment that has native animals you must take that into account as a natural risk like drought, bushfire etc and budget for expected losses or mitigate them with fences and safe watering areas and there are legal ways to relocate rogue crocs. I chose to buy a property with lots of trees and wildlife and that does not give me the right to cut down trees because I am worried about fires or exterminate snakes because someone may get bitten and I can't cop the "protecting my kids" argument, children can be educated to respect the danger, I grew up in an environment full of venomous snakes and I was taught how to not get bitten. I even rake long grass to chase away any lizards and snakes before I cut the grass to avoid injuring them. Non-native feral animals like pigs, dogs, foxes etc are fair game and should be exterminated but thats a different argument.

Non-native feral animals like pigs, dogs, foxes etc are fair game and should be exterminated but thats a different argument.

Native or not, some animals are pests in some situations, our laws are extrmely backward and the myth that native animals cannot be pests is completely baseless. Humans are the only effective predator of many animals in Australia. People had been killing animals for many thousands of years, sure some driven to extinction, but these days it is possible to manage the control and use of wildlife without any significant risk to their survival. It is actually benifical to the ecosystem to kill animals as part of a well thought out management plan.

I have no issue with the guy being fined, as it is the current law. That said wildlife laws in this country are founded on emotion with very little consideration of reality. There should be practical ways to legally manage wildlife, that is not the case at the moment.

It's OK to exterminate because there are lots of them was no doubt the same argument used to justify the slaughter of millions of koalas for their pelts, or the slaughter and resulting extinction of the Tassie Tiger to save a few lambs and what about the destruction of most of the SW WA forests that has resulted in local climate change and massive areas rendered useless by salinity. This madness is still destroying habitat and species in other countries to feed the un-natural over population of people but I like to think we are educated enough in this country to know better.

It's OK to exterminate because there are lots of them was no doubt the same argument used to justify the slaughter of millions of koalas for their pelts, or the slaughter and resulting extinction of the Tassie Tiger to save a few lambs and what about the destruction of most of the SW WA forests that has resulted in local climate change and massive areas rendered useless by salinity. This madness is still destroying habitat and species in other countries to feed the un-natural over population of people but I like to think we are educated enough in this country to know better.

Yeah, in some places they should be shooting koalas and selling their skins etc. There is a massive difference between controling pests and/or sustainable use with modern science and people in the past wiping stuff out. I'm considering setting up a breeding program for spotted tailed quolls, the amount of red tape and BS I will have to go through to do something that is clearly beneficial is absurd, that is if it is even possible.

Our wildife laws in genreal are not based on modern science or rational thought. They are based primarily on emotion and ignorance, and are highly detrimental to the ecosystem and conservation.

And lets not forget the fact that Australia has more species of animals on the critically endangered list than any other country in the world including Africa. And our animals are not slaughtered to feed the needs of a crazy race who think rhino horn or Tiger penis is going to make then a super human. Here wildlife is just killed for fun or because the animal is in the way such as in this instance. Humans are the scourge of the planet and continue to kill it off bit by bit in the name of progress.

And lets not forget the fact that Australia has more species of animals on the critically endangered list than any other country in the world including Africa. And our animals are not slaughtered to feed the needs of a crazy race who think rhino horn or Tiger penis is going to make then a super human. Here wildlife is just killed for fun or because the animal is in the way such as in this instance. Humans are the scourge of the planet and continue to kill it off bit by bit in the name of progress.
Ours are on the endangered list thanks to A - cats, B - Cane toads, C- foxes. Not because of the senseless slaughter for "fun, mythical medical marvels or progress." Seriously...

And how did these animals get into Australia?

You guessed it. Humans.
Yeah... that was never debated... We are INDIRECTLY responsible for the mass extinction of many, shooting a croc isn't comparable to 23 million feral cats destroying 75 million native animals across the continent every single night. Apples and oranges.

We cannot control that...

Native or not, some animals are pests in some situations, our laws are extrmely backward and the myth that native animals cannot be pests is completely baseless. Humans are the only effective predator of many animals in Australia. People had been killing animals for many thousands of years, sure some driven to extinction, but these days it is possible to manage the control and use of wildlife without any significant risk to their survival. It is actually benifical to the ecosystem to kill animals as part of a well thought out management plan.

I have no issue with the guy being fined, as it is the current law. That said wildlife laws in this country are founded on emotion with very little consideration of reality. There should be practical ways to legally manage wildlife, that is not the case at the moment.
Yes humans are the dominant predator but unlike natural wildlife predators humans have the ability to wipe out whole species, often justified to support un-natural excessive human population. Is it ok to cut down vast forests in Indonesia to grow palm oil? I remember being taught at school about WA's valuable whaling industry and the "Miracle Material" blue asbestos. Do we know the long term effect of what we are doing now? The best thing that could happen to the world is to reduce the human population by about 50%, and I don't mean culling.

Holy moly we've really reached a state of beating a dead horse into oblivion on every single thread, haven't we.

It goes beyond debating almost every time now, and just ends up outright arguing and stubbornness.
We don't all agree. Woohoo.

I mean, no one changes their opinion through having someone else's forced upon them.
You catch more flies with honey, my friends.

Infact all the outright arguing we've all been getting into undeniably makes the other parties less likely to reconsider their stance.

Holy moly we've really reached a state of beating a dead horse into oblivion on every single thread, haven't we.

There are some rather over opinionated people amongst the group who seem to have a wealth of knowledge on every subject and fail to listen to any other opinion than their own Vamps.
Unfortunately I don't see the forum getting back to any position where logic and sense is employed any time soon.

I'm quite neutral on the subject, But the fact that we count ourselves as any better than other animals because of our advancements and therefor justify the slaughter of such animals for little reason is disgusting. We are just animals also, *homo sapiens sapiens* (us) are just another species of primate like gorillas, chimp, etc. Better start some human farms eh? And no, i'm not saying the slaughter of such animals for food is bad, we are naturally omnivores and the killing of other animals for survival is natural. We are a parasitic species that the only reason we kill such animals is for materialistic items or to take even more of the land from the species that have been there for thousands, if not millions of years. If someone shot another human for money they're called a sociopath, even if quick. If someone shot a macaw for materials(most) people would be fine with it though.. No, i'm not saying that killing a macaw is the exact same as killing another human, we're very interactive and social animals and so naturally find the killing of the same species to be different than killing a different species, What i'm saying is that (some)people lessen other animals for very little reason, and are fine with getting rid of such animals whenever they feel the animal is a nuisance.

I'm quite neutral on the subject, But the fact that we count ourselves as any better than other animals because of our advancements and therefor justify the slaughter of such animals for little reason is disgusting. We are just animals also, *homo sapiens sapiens* (us) are just another species of primate like gorillas, chimp, etc. Better start some human farms eh? And no, i'm not saying the slaughter of such animals for food is bad, we are naturally omnivores and the killing of other animals for survival is natural. We are a parasitic species that the only reason we kill such animals is for materialistic items or to take even more of the land from the species that have been there for thousands, if not millions of years. If someone shot another human for money they're called a sociopath, even if quick. If someone shot a macaw for materials(most) people would be fine with it though.. No, i'm not saying that killing a macaw is the exact same as killing another human, we're very interactive and social animals and so naturally find the killing of the same species to be different than killing a different species, What i'm saying is that (some)people lessen other animals for very little reason, and are fine with getting rid of such animals whenever they feel the animal is a nuisance.

It is natural for humans and other animals to kill and compete with other animals, even those of the same species. I cannot pretend to think it is unethical. People who get payed to kill others are called soldiers, they are often highly respectable people. If you describe humans as parasites the same could be applied to all other life forms. Parasites are not a bad thing in many cases anwyay. Some people here would support shooting macaws on the basis that they are not native.

When dealing with topics like this people should use science as the core foundation to develop the best practical solutions. Being neutral and thinking about the topic is what I would hope most people do as a starting point.

This is what it’s all about. We are rapidly destroying this planet! And the mindset of ‘killing of one croc will make no difference’ is one of the reasons our country is in this predicament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back