frog ID's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a single spawn produce both colour types?

Any point in giving them a permanent water source such as a half wine barrel with a small water pump to encourage them to stick around?

That's a great question. Personally I don't know but I don't see why it wouldn't. I'll check with some friends who are into frogs and inquire if anyone breeds or has bred them to see if I can get an answer.

A barrel with a water pump might work but I think you'd have a better chance if you could build a little pond with a waterfall to simulate their prefered breeding environment.

27540688_1591532267595837_5794678758778922359_n.jpg
[doublepost=1518815398,1518812581][/doublepost]
In my experience the tympanum is not a particularly consistent distinguishing characteristic.

Here you go Mike.

These are not my pics but provide an example of what I was referring to regarding the difference in the tympanum of each species. Top one is L phyllochroa. Bottom one is L nudidigata.

27356359_1589443657804698_4189360910609664358_o.jpg 23916494_1872346442793821_518336542793815829_o.jpg

Not sure about this species, but many frogs can just change colour green to gold/brown etc.

Thanks.My knowledge of frogs is limited to say the least.

That's a great question. Personally I don't know but I don't see why it wouldn't. I'll check with some friends who are into frogs and inquire if anyone breeds or has bred them to see if I can get an answer.

A barrel with a water pump might work but I think you'd have a better chance if you could build a little pond with a waterfall to simulate their prefered breeding environment.

Thanks George,space is a bit limited and am still looking for a place up your neck of the woods so would need to be something that wasn't too elaborate.

Thanks.My knowledge of frogs is limited to say the least.

I have no specific knowledge of this species, but many Litoria spp. can change colour and even pattern. There are also some situations where the colour is fixed to some extent by some sort of genetics, as you can see with blue green tree frogs, albinos etc. I would assume varying between light and dark green and brown etc. varies with environmental influence in this species too.

These guys are able to change colour from bright to dark green (almost brown). I suspect it’s probably due to background and lighting, as one I kept in a dark bag for a short time did that.

The half wine barrel of water placed near your elkhorns sounds great and would definitely help to retain frogs. As the LGFs apparently breed in moving water you can probably expect them to disappear in late winter and spring. Other species, such the Dwarf Sedge frog L. fallax will possily breed in that volume of water if you include some emergent plants. Broader leaved emergent are better but not essential. I’d recommend to keep them in pots so they don’t take over. I actually grew some transplanted bulrushes in 90 mm pots this way. Periodically trimming the roots as they emerge from holes in the pots helps keep them under control and assists in maintaining water quality by removing a percentage of the organic matter. I have also used duckweed, a tiny floating plant, to help maintain water quality. When it builds up, scoop most of it out with an aquarium net - makes for excellent compost or mulch. Actually Bunnings have a reasonable selection of aquatic emergent plants, including the native fern Nardoo.
[doublepost=1518868904,1518852576][/doublepost]
just out of curiosity, what other species did you find around there?
In a previous thread we outlined the more common lizards and snakes found in your area. In terms of ground frogs, Pseudophryne australis was the most common and also my personal favourite. There was also the occasional P. bibronii and Crinea signifera. The most common tree frogs were Litoria fallax and then L. aurea, invariably located in the vicinity of water. There was also the odd L. dentata, L. peronii, what we used to call the ‘Brown Tree frog’, which I think was L. verreauxi and L. caerulea. Apart from the Leaf Green tree frog I think there were a couple more but am not sure what species

Something like Frogs and Reptiles of the Sydney Region by Ken Griffiths for $25 would probably be a good investment. Someone might like to comment here because I have never had the opportunity to have a look at the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back