Stimson Escape

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prianna Ho

Reaction score
Hi, I just got my first python a few weeks ago now (he is a stimson python) and he has managed to escape again. He has done this a handful of times already but he was always found pretty quickly, but unfortunately this time I haven't been able to locate him at all and its been about 2 days now. I was wondering if anyone would have any tips on locating him as there is nothing really warm around his enclosure at all and the with the current weather he doesn't seem like he would need a heat source too much. I'm really worried about him and I was just wondering if those of you with more experience would have any tips for me to help find the little guy? His about 6 months old I was told and seems to measure about 50cm.
ps. Please tell me if I have posted this in the wrong place

How is he escaping? What kind of enclosure is/was he in?

He was in an old fish tank before and i believe he was pushing through the netting to escape in that enclosure. He has since been moved to a much larger enclosure and i think he may have found a way to push the perspect door open enough to get out as it has the ability to bend slightly. The bigger enclosure is just a home made one, but as everywhere but the door is nailed and silicone down I don't believe there is another way out.

My first question would be, if it happened once and you were lucky enough to get it back, why did you not take steps to prevent it happening again? Small snakes are very vulnerable, and without wanting to lecture, because we've all had escapes, it's your responsibility to ensure that the animal is secure in its enclosure - outside the enclosure its chances of survival are greatly reduced. If it can get under the door of the room in which it is kept, it could be anywhere.

I would suggest going around the house with a torch late in the evening, 30 minutes after all lights are out and activity in the house has ceased.

Jamie
[doublepost=1519772806,1519772729][/doublepost]Replace the perspex with glass - flexing perspex is a big problem.

Jamie

Steps were taken to prevent it but unfortunately it took a little while to work out where his escape hole was. This is his first escape form his new enclosure.

I was going to do that but i was worried about the plastic possibly heating up and emitting some harmful chemicals. He also somehow managed to get out through duck tape so I'm not sure I would feel so comfortable that a plastic box would be safe enough.

Our children’s python many years ago escaped and made its way up the bedroom sliding door and was chilling up the top, in the runners... lucky for him no one opened /closed the doors
[doublepost=1519776387,1519776316][/doublepost]
I was going to do that but i was worried about the plastic possibly heating up and emitting some harmful chemicals. He also somehow managed to get out through duck tape so I'm not sure I would feel so comfortable that a plastic box would be safe enough.
Won’t get fumes unless your heat gets too hot and even then it won’t unless there’s smoke

If it’s a larger enclosure, make sure you check it properly - remove all the substrate and all decorations & plants & check them properly. Failing that, check up high on top of things, some snakes love to climb. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a friend lose a python years ago and to try and track it down , we put down flour along the skirting boards/floor and around any dark areas of the house, also laid out hides all over the house, after a few days tracks were found and eventually was tracked to a tucked away corner in the kitchen :)

good luck and, yeah use a click clack container plenty of examples on here and the web

Mmmm, this thread gets better and better.
You are using tape on the enclosure??

IndeedPP! NEVER, under any circumstances, use duct tape or any other sticky tape in a reptile enclosure. It will trap your animal and may skin it alive without your taking drastic action to unstick it.

Jamie

From what I understand they are actually have a few issues with food grade plastic containers causing hormones to developed faster in children, resulting in puberty starting in children from the age of 5...... I don't believe this is an issue in Australia but it does make me a bit wearing about heating plastic.

The snake was put in an old fish tank for its first few days here and after his first escape my parents put duck tape around the netting we were using as a lid to allow for air flow and the light, I was not at home so I couldn't fix it, but i did remove the tank later that night when i got home but unfortunately the snake had made its way out of that. Afterwards I jsut used some bull clips around the whole parameter of the top of the tank to secure the netting down.

I was wondering if you guys have had an issues with the smell of snake excretion? The snake did escape a few days after its feed and based on the smell in my room i think he has decided to go to the toilet somewhere in here but I'm not certain. Currently looking for the snake excretion and the snake itself.
Ps. Turns out someone was just fertilising outside.

Last edited:
I would imagine the python will be looking for water very soon. Try leaving a bowl of water somewhere...

From what I understand they are actually have a few issues with food grade plastic containers causing hormones to developed faster in children, resulting in puberty starting in children from the age of 5...... I don't believe this is an issue in Australia but it does make me a bit wearing about heating plastic.

The snake was put in an old fish tank for its first few days here and after his first escape my parents put duck tape around the netting we were using as a lid to allow for air flow and the light, I was not at home so I couldn't fix it, but i did remove the tank later that night when i got home but unfortunately the snake had made its way out of that. Afterwards I jsut used some bull clips around the whole parameter of the top of the tank to secure the netting down.

I was wondering if you guys have had an issues with the smell of snake excretion? The snake did escape a few days after its feed and based on the smell in my room i think he has decided to go to the toilet somewhere in here but I'm not certain. Currently looking for the snake excretion and the snake itself.
If you get your animal back, please buy a proper enclosure - fish tanks are not designed for maintaining reptiles and unless you have experience, should not be use as suitable caging. I've never had an issue with smell - their excretions are not pungent.

The snake was only in the fish tank for a few days before I moved it into the enclosure bellow.

Thank you for the advice, I will try leaving out some water and see how it goes.1519880560922893480691.jpg

POSITIVE OUTCOME WILL OCCUR, once she is found ensure she is tucked away nicely in the enclosure! In the meantime i would be going over her current enclosure to ensure its escape proof..check every crack , fold, door, hinge and electrical work , be 300% happy with it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back