Bio-active Wood roach colony

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venompost

Reaction score
Is there any benefit to keeping your roach colony in a Bio-active setup with coir-peat and large wood logs, plants etc?

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Yep definitely. You'll want to have something living in the substrate too though. I did it years ago with mealworms living in it. They form a sort of "symbiotic" relationship where the mealworm beetles cleaned up the carcasses of any dead roaches. It's been a long time now so I don't remember a lot of specifics but I never had to clean it and had to add less food than you normally would because everything was eating everything else

Yep definitely. You'll want to have something living in the substrate too though. I did it years ago with mealworms living in it. They form a sort of "symbiotic" relationship where the mealworm beetles cleaned up the carcasses of any dead roaches. It's been a long time now so I don't remember a lot of specifics but I never had to clean it and had to add less food than you normally would because everything was eating everything else
Yes sounds good. Might give it a go.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

You can also run a mini ecosytem in the reptile enclosure (indoor or outdoor). You can set it up so the roaches breed sustainably, eat the lizard (or whatever) crap and the other suff soil organisms, plants etc. mean that you don't need to do much cleaning.

I have mini mealworms in some of my roach tubs, some people consisder them a pest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back