Samsung S7 vs. Waterproof Camera

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
My water/shockproof camera has recently died (at just 10 YO) and I also need to get a new 4G capable phone soon. How does a Samsung S7 or other waterproof phone compare to new tough/waterproof cameras? I can see that the lack of optical zoom with the phone is an obvious disadvantage, what other pros and cons are there to consider?

Does anyone here have a newish tough camera or a Samsung S7?

Never had the Samsung S7, I went straight from S5 to S8.
[doublepost=1520227459,1520226481][/doublepost]This is my underwater camera that I've had now for just over 6 years, it's been all over Australia with me, still has some sand in the cover from the bottom of Lake McKenzie on Fraser. LOL

Works great, have some awesome underwater shots of turtles from many river systems thanks to this little bit of gear.
20180305_150901.jpg
20180305_150920.jpg
20180305_150928.jpg
20180305_150948.jpg

How water proof do you need it to be? Most phones are only really water resistant to a couple of metres; which if you read the details only really means rain and shower proof. Often, the impact of just dropping the phone in water will exceed the rated water resistance pressure rating. You could always use a case like an OttoBox or life proof, which will help.
However, if you really want a decent camera that you can use at the beach etc. without having to worry about being dumped in surf or sprayed with pressurised water, then get a dedicated camera. They have been around for ages so you should be able to pick up cheap ones fairly easily.

How water proof do you need it to be? Most phones are only really water resistant to a couple of metres; which if you read the details only really means rain and shower proof. Often, the impact of just dropping the phone in water will exceed the rated water resistance pressure rating. You could always use a case like an OttoBox or life proof, which will help.
However, if you really want a decent camera that you can use at the beach etc. without having to worry about being dumped in surf or sprayed with pressurised water, then get a dedicated camera. They have been around for ages so you should be able to pick up cheap ones fairly easily.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 is completely water proof. Have used it sitting on the bottom of the pool taking pics.

The Samsung Galaxy S8 is completely water proof. Have used it sitting on the bottom of the pool taking pics.

Nah, unfortunately they aren't. They are only rated as IP68 water resistant.

This means that they can handle 1.5m (or pressure equivalent to) for 30minutes. Samsung's recommendations for maintaining the water and dust protection state:
  • Do not immerse the device in water deeper than 1.5 metres and do not keep it submerged in water less than 1.5 metres deep for more than 30 minutes.
  • Do not expose the device to water moving with force, such as water running from a tap, ocean waves, or waterfalls.
  • If the device is exposed to freshwater, dry it thoroughly with a clean, soft cloth. If the device is exposed to any liquid other than freshwater, gently rinse it with still fresh water immediately and dry it thoroughly with a clean soft cloth. Failure to gently rinse it in still fresh water and dry it as instructed may cause it to suffer from operability or cosmetic issues.
  • If the device is dropped or receives an impact, the water and dust - resistant features may be damaged.
  • The touch screen and other features may not work properly while the device is in water.
A camera like the Nikon CoolPix W300 is 30metre water resistant as well as being shock proof to 2.4 metres. Which pretty much means that you can go diving with the camera. The Nikon W300 sells for <$400, but you can find other cameras that are ~20m water resistant for around $200.

Like I said, I've sat on the bottom of the pool with mine multiple times and used it. The most "water proof" phone on the market currently.

Damn those pesky manufacturers instructions and recommendations, they're ALWAYS wrong!...

They’re good, just don’t submerge them in water for extended periods, you can also get water proof cases but I’m not sure how well they work

Damn those pesky manufacturers instructions and recommendations, they're ALWAYS wrong!...
Not always but a lot of the time they're exaggerated to cover their own behinds. That way they can blame you if it fails and deny responsibility.
[doublepost=1520302448,1520302388][/doublepost]My little Panasonic underwater camera is awesome though.

Yeah I'm not going to be using it for diving or other high pressure stuff, maybe the occasional photo in shallow water or a fishtank and being able to handle rain and dust. I'm pretty limited in what I can spend and it is basically a choice between a crap phone and a seperate camera or the S7. I also have point and shoot camera with a 30x lens, but it isnot the sort of thing you can just carry in your pocket.

I have a go-pro and have found it good for underwater photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back