Code of Practice Differences

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry89

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been trying to find information on enclosure sizing for different gecko species and have realised for QLD in particular the code of practice is rather vague and not per individual.

https://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/assets/d...cp-wm-captive-reptile-amphibian-husbandry.pdf

After finding this I stumbled upon the NSW code and it is much better (see attachment), however I was wondering if there is a better place to source housing information across the board for all reptiles.

Many care sheets contradict each other and I am seeing why those new to the hobby ask so many questions over and again on this forum only to be met with sighs of 'do your research'. Do we have a better umbrella care guide for Australian reptiles and if so, can we add if to this forum somewhere, maybe cut into PDF sections for people seeking good and reliable information on species care. There is a wealth of knowledge on here with many field professionals who would know better than state bodies, do you guys know if such a work exists.

Having said that, I do have reptile books published by the gods in their fields, however they tend to be specific to certain sub reptiles and a little light on with the generalised care information such as enclosure to adult size charts. Is this even possible? Thanks everyone

Attachments

• keeping-private-reptiles-code-of-practice (1).pdf
    254.9 KB · Views: 3
Hi All,

I have been trying to find information on enclosure sizing for different gecko species and have realised for QLD in particular the code of practice is rather vague and not per individual.

https://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/assets/d...cp-wm-captive-reptile-amphibian-husbandry.pdf

After finding this I stumbled upon the NSW code and it is much better (see attachment), however I was wondering if there is a better place to source housing information across the board for all reptiles.

Many care sheets contradict each other and I am seeing why those new to the hobby ask so many questions over and again on this forum only to be met with sighs of 'do your research'. Do we have a better umbrella care guide for Australian reptiles and if so, can we add if to this forum somewhere, maybe cut into PDF sections for people seeking good and reliable information on species care. There is a wealth of knowledge on here with many field professionals who would know better than state bodies, do you guys know if such a work exists.

Having said that, I do have reptile books published by the gods in their fields, however they tend to be specific to certain sub reptiles and a little light on with the generalised care information such as enclosure to adult size charts. Is this even possible? Thanks everyone
I’m not sure if there’s a standard nation wide code of practice unfortunately. Possibly due to the fact that the wildlife and licensing bodies are segregated.

I usually go by what the books say as they are pretty on point and generous when it comes to enclosure/housing sizes and tend to go by the size of the animal, rather than mean sizes in general.

Hi @Stompsy, that seems all well and good for the big guys, like snakes and lizards, but for geckos in particular there isn't a lot on size of animal to enclosure. I have found a diverse offering for velvet geckos for example, some saying a minimum of 30x30 and others 30x60 as a start.

Maybe what I am really seeking then is a Gecko guide based on single animal housing and length, not breed, given other reptiles with larger bodies are better accommodated by the guides and assumed to live alone, not in pairs of more. You are right there, the more specific literature for larger reptiles can be used generally. I will have another flip through my gecko book tonight.

You might as well ask "how long is a piece of string." Large lizards which are active and have large home ranges need large enclosures - small, slower moving lizards like geckos need smaller cages. There is NO formula which equates in any way to reptiles in nature, other than what I have suggested. The NSW "Code of Practice" was simply made up by non-reptile keeping bureaucrats and is a subjective document at best. It is nothing more than opinion made into legislation, and most experienced keepers treat it with the skepticism it deserves.

What looks and "feels" right will likely serve your animal in a far better way.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back