Thinking about becoming a snake owner.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie Lee

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, I've started thinking about owning a snake.

Currently leaning towards Darwin Carpet Python, Diamond carpet Python and looking into some other smaller species as well.

And any information on enclosures and how to find or create the best one (I've only ever owned Eastern Water dragons before, but havtn owned one in years, so I'm definitely used to high maintenance enclosures)

I would love to hear some important information or where to find it and your thoughts on it all!

I would also love to hear what snakes you have or started with, how they're like and your pros and cons to that species.

This will be a long journey for me, And probably won't happen anytime soon but I want to make sure I am knowledgeable and well prepared before I even look for a breeder.

Thanks!

Carpet pythons are my favourite, I have also kept spotteds and womas. I prefer the carpets because of the colour and pattern mutations. I own about forty - fifty pythons and only three or four are bitey.

Welcome to the forum. Heaps of good info here and lots of good and knowledgable people. And happy belated birthday.

I keep south-west carpet pythons (Morelia imbricata). Python-wise it’s always been carpet pythons for me. Ever since I was a child they held some kind of mythical status in the farming community I grew up in. Everyone knew about them, yet they were rarely seen. Unlike the common venomous snakes such as tigers and dugites which were regarded with fear and hatred by the greater community carpet pythons were regarded with awe. They were the gentle giants that preyed on our pests; mice, rats, and rabbits. They’re benevolent presence was always welcomed. The majority of farmers I knew were fervent hunters of venomous snakes with the common and narrow-minded notion that “a good snake’s a dead snake”. But this didn’t include the majestic carpet python. Like a creature of fantasy you could go for years without seeing one but when you did you instantly knew what it was. When found, everyone in the family would come and view it. It was something of an event! Whenever we did have to physically move one, be it lying peacefully in the sheep yards before the sheep came stampeding in, or slowly cruising in the long grass before it was mowed, they were generally docile and calm – a wild snake at that – with the most we would get was perhaps an indignant hiss before sending it on its way, wondering when would be the next time we’d see it. Sometimes we never did.

Romantic tale aside I like them because I personally find them to be beautiful. I like their size, head shape, colours, patterns – dorsally and ventrally, and in general I like their calm disposition. Bitey individuals are always exciting to deal with though. I find many people are afraid of them, but handling bitey critters fills me with energy. I feel alive. I’m handling an apex predator. I can feel the power, the force behind its lighting strike, witness its tools of destruction. But I suppose that could be said with any defensive reptile you handle.

It has been said many times before, and I’ll say it again. Go with the species that you’re most passionate about. Never mind our opinions. We’re not you. Only you can decide what you would like to keep. If I was you, however, I'd pick Diamond Pythons. I personally find them to be very beautiful.

The Complete Carpet Python by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander is a great read for the carpet python enthusiast. Lots of quality information on both the Darwin and Diamond Python.

I don’t normally write these posts, but here you go. To top it off, here’s some photos because I shamelessly love sharing them.

Reflection by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Juvenile Serpent Belly by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Serpent Belly by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Rainbow Serpent by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

South-west Carpet Python (Morelia imbricata) by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

I keep south-west carpet pythons (Morelia imbricata). Python-wise it’s always been carpet pythons for me. Ever since I was a child they held some kind of mythical status in the farming community I grew up in. Everyone knew about them, yet they were rarely seen. Unlike the common venomous snakes such as tigers and dugites which were regarded with fear and hatred by the greater community carpet pythons were regarded with awe. They were the gentle giants that preyed on our pests; mice, rats, and rabbits. They’re benevolent presence was always welcomed. The majority of farmers I knew were fervent hunters of venomous snakes with the common and narrow-minded notion that “a good snake’s a dead snake”. But this didn’t include the majestic carpet python. Like a creature of fantasy you could go for years without seeing one but when you did you instantly knew what it was. When found, everyone in the family would come and view it. It was something of an event! Whenever we did have to physically move one, be it lying peacefully in the sheep yards before the sheep came stampeding in, or slowly cruising in the long grass before it was mowed, they were generally docile and calm – a wild snake at that – with the most we would get was perhaps an indignant hiss before sending it on its way, wondering when would be the next time we’d see it. Sometimes we never did.

Romantic tale aside I like them because I personally find them to be beautiful. I like their size, head shape, colours, patterns – dorsally and ventrally, and in general I like their calm disposition. Bitey individuals are always exciting to deal with though. I find many people are afraid of them, but handling bitey critters fills me with energy. I feel alive. I’m handling an apex predator. I can feel the power, the force behind its lighting strike, witness its tools of destruction. But I suppose that could be said with any defensive reptile you handle.

It has been said many times before, and I’ll say it again. Go with the species that you’re most passionate about. Never mind our opinions. We’re not you. Only you can decide what you would like to keep. If I was you, however, I'd pick Diamond Pythons. I personally find them to be very beautiful.

The Complete Carpet Python by Nick Mutton and Justin Julander is a great read for the carpet python enthusiast. Lots of quality information on both the Darwin and Diamond Python.

I don’t normally write these posts, but here you go. To top it off, here’s some photos because I shamelessly love sharing them.

Reflection by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Juvenile Serpent Belly by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Serpent Belly by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Rainbow Serpent by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Holy crap, thank you (thank you everyone) for the info

The romantic story helps! I love it.

I would never make my judgment based off of what everyone else tells me, I'm going to go for the "perfect" snake for me, but hearing about others personal stories help excite me for the future!!

I've heard very good things about carpet pythons; I was initially looking into pygmy pythons, or children's python but there's something I cannot resist about the size of carpets and how they look.

I think I will try and meet a variety of different species and hopefully,one day soon I will have my own snake friend to call mine!
[doublepost=1521517686,1521517645][/doublepost]
Welcome to the forum. Heaps of good info here and lots of good and knowledgable people. And happy belated birthday.

Thank you!!

Welcome! Can't go wrong with carpets :)

This +1.
I get tired of hearing advice based on limited exposure & experience. (Get this because I have one and its the best).
Get what you like so the passion doesn't wane. Down the track you can add more if they excite or fascinate you enough.

Diamonds & BHP's at the moment with more species to come.

This +1.
I get tired of hearing advice based on limited exposure & experience. (Get this because I have one and its the best).
Get what you like so the passion doesn't wane. Down the track you can add more if they excite or fascinate you enough.

Diamonds & BHP's at the moment with more species to come.

Thank you - I completely get that - I guess I was more just wanting to hear people talk about their snakes as it excites me for when I can get one.

I'm super interested in the Darwin Carpet python, I think they're beautiful.

But then again, without others experience and knowledge in general I feel anyone making a decision can be difficult, so a little insight here and there isba good thing as long as it's not "GET THIS ONE BECAUSE IT WORKS FOR ME"

I guess I'm more looking for general statements on them, rather than personal.

For example - most carpet pythons can be very docile but X and X are known to be more bitey

Thank you though!

You mentioned Diamonds at the start of the thread and many people will try to put you off them because they are 'different' to keep. Different in that they have environmental needs that may differ quite a bit from other carpets.

I would say go for your life. They are an amazing & interesting species to keep but get advice on enclosure design/temps etc from experienced diamond keepers before you make the plunge.

(My first snake was a female Burmese Python way back. Why a Burmese.....why not? Maybe because at 16ft long and a body mass in excess of 40kgs by the time she was 4 years old it might have been seen as a dumb decision).

Hi Jamie,we have a Darwin who is pretty placid but doesn't like being handled and gets all wriggly but has never bitten,a Coastal who is the most placid and easy handling creature,a Diamond who is a real sweetheart,a Stimsons who is friendly too,we have a couple of Spotted pythons who are great and another 1 is a little snappy,she doesn't bite but snaps at the air,same as my Childreni.My Pygmy Banded Pythons are pretty laid back and my son had a Woma who bit him once.
So in 5 years with 11 pythons we have been bitten a total of 3 times,all minor things and it shows that any snake can bite but most don't.Some snakes have a bad reputation and some don't deserve the reputation.
I think a lot of it boils down to how you treat the animal.
As others have said pick what you want and you will be happy,don't buy what we like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back