ID please?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph_BTK

Reaction score
Help guys... tough picture but any clues as to what this guy was (been released in the local creek area)
4a3dfcfbb8ac4f4a83339ce8063c32c9.jpg

Instagram: murph_BTK

There aren't many Orange-naped snakes in SE Queensland so I'd say its a Red-naped snake (Furina diadema)

Any chance you guys could help me understand why it's more likely to be diadema - apart from location? I was basing it off the fact that the marking doesn't seem to be enclosed in black but am obviously missing something else.

Any chance you guys could help me understand why it's more likely to be diadema - apart from location? I was basing it off the fact that the marking doesn't seem to be enclosed in black but am obviously missing something else.
I'm gonna be honest, I can't tell the difference between the two visually. My ID was just based off the likelyhood of the locality.

Hi Saximus,

Basically, apart from the location being way outside the distribution of the Orange-Naped Snake F. ornata are a more orange/reddish brown colour dorsally whereas the Red Naped Snakes F diadema are (as in the case here) a much richer reddish brown. Dorsal scales on both species are lined with black or dark brown and give them a reticulated appearance but this is more distinctive with diadema . The reddish/orange nape (bar) at the back of the head on ornata is much broader than that of diadema and it extends across the back and continues down the the sides of the neck whereas the nape of diadema is thin and only goes across the neck.

Hope this helps,

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back