cooling pythons before breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonlover1

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay I have bred dragons and bluies but this will be my first attempt at breeding pythons.
I have read about cooling but I want to be sure I do it right;I have a 3YO pair of Pygmy Banded Pythons who are showing great size and weight,my female has just shed 3 times in 3 months.I think they are ready.
Is there any thing in particular I have to do this winter? How do I go about cooling?
Thanks in advance for any tips
Cheers Rick

Ive no experience breeding ants but i would stop feeding for a month or so clean their guts out and drop their basking hours to 3-4 hrs a day and can prob pair them up in under 2 months. although as far as im aware this time of year some people are seeing lock ups with ants already? Im sure a more experienced breeder will advise you, that's just what i did with my morelia.

Last edited:
Different breeders approach cooling in different ways.
I gradually reduce the heating hours. Starting late summer I drop 1 hour every 2 weeks in an effort to keep in line with natural cycles.

Ive no experience breeding ants but i would stop feeding for a month or so clean their guts out and drop their basking hours to 3-4 hrs a day and can prob pair them up in under 2 months. although as far as im aware this time of year some people are seeing lock ups with ants already? Im sure a more experienced breeder will advise you, that's just what i did with my morelia.
really? they are already mating? I thought they would start in spring

I could be wrong but I thought ants were ready to go a lot earlier in the season and remember seeing a thread on here where someone was already seeing mating around this time of year @dragonlover1

Maybe they are doing some sort of artificial cooling to get them going early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back