Wanting advice on best snake to buy sons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Briony885

Reaction score
hi my sons, 11 and 12 are obsessed with reptiles and they have asked me for a snake. I’m after some advice on the best one I should buy I want a black headed python and have been doing a bit of research on them. Are these good first snakes? How big does my enclosure need to be?? We visited a pet shop the other day and they only had jungle carpets. And baby albino Darwin carpet snakes is it better to buy as a baby or a bit older?? Some advice would be great as I want to be very prepared and ready thank u

You're already on the right track by researching first; well done.
Get whatever snake you and your sons really want. Being reptile newbies I would recommend getting a hatchling (baby); that way you can grow in knowledge as the snake grows. Also it's better to buy from a breeder rather than a shop; you won't get sold a lot of stuff you don't need, and a good breeder will give you advice and help after you've bought it.
A hatchling is best kept in a tub, or click clack, until it's bigger, so there's no rush on the enclosure. Browse through the threads on here, or use the search function in the top right corner, for any questions you think up. Otherwise ask away.
Blackheads get quite large, are you and your sons ready for such a big snake?
There are a couple of good books on keeping reptiles. While not cheap, they are worth it for referring to.

don't buy from a pet shop, you'll pay triple the price. have a look at this site.

http://www.reptileclassifieds.com.au/

Hey Mick. Nothing against Reptile Classifieds but it might be nice to promote this site (APS) first as there are plenty of animals for sale on here and lots of members are breeders.
I even consider discounting animals for members of this site and Stuart is doing a lot of work to promote the sales side of this site.

you're right, i didn't know if it was ok to post the link. but I figured the OP was already here anyway. if any mods want to delete it i won't complain.

you're right, i didn't know if it was ok to post the link. but I figured the OP was already here anyway. if any mods want to delete it i won't complain.

I dont think there is need to delete the post just courtesy to our hosts is needed I think.
I use both sites to advertise but I'm a big believer that Stuart is doing good things on APS for the right reasons and I think we as the users of the site should support him through our actions.
Lets use oppotunities like this to promote breeders/users/sellers who actively support the site.

hi my sons, 11 and 12 are obsessed with reptiles and they have asked me for a snake. I’m after some advice on the best one I should buy I want a black headed python and have been doing a bit of research on them. Are these good first snakes? How big does my enclosure need to be?? We visited a pet shop the other day and they only had jungle carpets. And baby albino Darwin carpet snakes is it better to buy as a baby or a bit older?? Some advice would be great as I want to be very prepared and ready thank u
Black heads are nice pythons but if you want an albino darwin I have hatchlings from a very calm and good to handle line that not only look spectacular but are dog tame, there is a post on the For Sale section here and I am offering discounts to members.

Black heads are nice pythons but if you want an albino darwin I have hatchlings from a very calm and good to handle line that not only look spectacular but are dog tame, there is a post on the For Sale section here and I am offering discounts to members.
So... I also have some hatchy albinos but mine are little psychos... fancy a trade? :p

Will check it out the lady at the shop said they will bite my kids and I’m better off buying an older snake. What enclosures do I need for a hatchling

Definitely get one of yellowtails pythons.

You can keep a baby in a plastic container or “click clack” with paper towel, water bowl, and a hide... aswell as some wooden dowl to climb on.

You can keep them in there for almost a year if not longer.

Said it before, will say it again. Pet shops run on overpricing their animals from an average joe breeder. Almost 2-3x compared to buying from a breeder themself. they also try sell you a bunch of unnecessary items, that again, you can get for a better price

Will check it out the lady at the shop said they will bite my kids and I’m better off buying an older snake. What enclosures do I need for a hatchling
I just fed and cleaned the tubs of over 40 albino darwin hatchlings last night and not one even looked like biting, they are calm and non-aggressive.
Unfortunately can't say the same about my jungle hatchies, I bleed everytime I go near them.

The lady at the pet shop is talking out of her @rse Briony.
2 weeks ago I took video, (for a customer) of my 6 year old granddaughter handling hatchling BHP's.
Jungles will bite as YT points out. Most other species settle easily IF they are handled appropriately at a young age.

Please go over to fb and take a look at the video's on our page. These are 3 month old BHP's.

The lady at the pet shop is talking out of her @rse Briony.
2 weeks ago I took video, (for a customer) of my 6 year old granddaughter handling hatchling BHP's.
Jungles will bite as YT points out. Most other species settle easily IF they are handled appropriately at a young age.

Please go over to fb and take a look at the video's on our page. These are 3 month old BHP's.

I had the chance to handle two somewhat freshly wild caught Pilbara Black Headed Pythons not long ago, one a juvenile and the other a sub adult, and they were excellent to handle. The juvenile was one of the most placid snakes I've ever handled. Was a little tempted to get one myself but I'm supposed to be keeping species that are native to my area.

I would definetely agree that bhps and especially pilbara bhps are very friendly and placid to handle as long as you dont have a rat in your hand they are quite docile . Think they get a bad wrap because of their eager feed response and the size some locales get to. Great pets imo
[doublepost=1522311820,1522311642][/doublepost]Furthermore it is my opinion that most jungles do calm down with age and a bit of gentle handling .. some exceptions of course

hi briony
my 12 year old son and i just bought a hatchy childrens python about 3 weeks ago. she was pretty bitey from the get go but its surprising how little it hurts. i really would say that it doesnt hurt at all. my son has been diligently handling her and she has calmed down a lot (still the occasional defensive bite). from my experience, i would get your boys a hatchy as it will get your boys used to the occasional bite while the snake is small enough not to hurt. the real challenge is not flinching (so you dont hurt the snake), just cause they move so fast and i am not used to being bitten by pets.
all up great pet, my young bloke spends lots of time talking to her and listening to the radio with her (not sure the snake hears anything). he loves her to death. didnt know how good a pet snakes were until he got her.

good luck whatever you get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back