Kennedy pleads guilty

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a few snips from a newspaper article.

"In a January 2017 meeting, Kennedy - who told the officer his name was Ben - described fish as being "finicky as f***" but said while some died in transit, the profit margin still remained high.

He also spoke of the low risk of getting caught.

"If you get busted it's a $500 fine and (warning) don't ever do that again," Kennedy said, according to the court documents.

The ex-footballer also admitted to buying fish from Bangkok markets and said selling reptiles was a lucrative business.

"They're worth $300 (each) here, they're worth three grand over there," he said.

"So how about instead of selling all these snakes for 10 grand here, I sell them over there and buy a f***ing house."

http://www.northweststar.com.au/story/5310673/kennedy-pleads-guilty-to-animal-smuggling/

"He said Australian penalties were lax and that the post was the ideal way to smuggle animals because packages would always slip through the overwhelmed system."

I hope they throw the book at him and then some... it's too early in the morning for me to be this mad! What a complete scumbag.

The original SMH article mentioned that of 20 sugar gliders in one package 18 died, he saw that as just acceptable losses as some get through alive.

Attachments

• IMG_20180329_0001.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
Would $180000 be a big enough fine? Think of the money he must have made smuggling all those critters.

It sounds as though reptile smuggling's fairly common, given the rumors flying around, and the species/morph acquisitions that simply don't quite add up. But the worst part of all is that Kennedy doesn't seem to be the least bit remorseful. He shipped those animals out, knowing that many could potentially die, and he still did it anyway. All in the name of money. He didn't care about the lives lost (some of which may have died in agony). All he cared about was the money that was lost or gained. It's horrible. There's nothing wrong with making money from animals, many people and businesses rely on animals as an income. But when the animal's welfare doesn't become a part of the equation, what's the point?

Lets just hope he gets some jail time. Though if its something pitiful such as 3 months it will just send the wrong message and probably have the wrong impact on the smugglers.

Can see it now... Pleads "temporary insanity" gets 6 months community service...

Would $180000 be a big enough fine? Think of the money he must have made smuggling all those critters.

It sounds as though reptile smuggling's fairly common, given the rumors flying around, and the species/morph acquisitions that simply don't quite add up. But the worst part of all is that Kennedy doesn't seem to be the least bit remorseful. He shipped those animals out, knowing that many could potentially die, and he still did it anyway. All in the name of money. He didn't care about the lives lost (some of which may have died in agony). All he cared about was the money that was lost or gained. It's horrible. There's nothing wrong with making money from animals, many people and businesses rely on animals as an income. But when the animal's welfare doesn't become a part of the equation, what's the point?

The reason I keep posting updates on the Kennedy case is to help stir up some public attitude that wildlife smuggling is a very serious crime and should be judged that way. To me it is worse than drug smuggling and this creep should get serious jail time and be made an example, a pariah. He lived in Sydney but a lot of the smuggling involved WA animals. I am not really into social media but those that are should push this.

10 years prison... in Australia... for smuggling wildlife... LESS than unlikely but let's assume it does happen... it'd be at the expense of taxpayers... so it's you and I who are ultimately "paying" while this joker spends some downtime in what's essentially a live-in resort. The whole system is a failure.

Freeze ALL the bloke's assets as proceeds of crime, force him to volunteer at an RSPCA shelter FOR FREE for the next 25 years! Make HIM pay, not us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back