Spotted Python Feeding Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miki_k8

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, needing to some help with my spotted (again, I know). It has been 6 weeks since his last feed and despite trying a vast array of techniques, he just won't feed at all. He has been drinking water at a normal rate and seems active and alert, but a little skinny if anything (appears to be wrinkly almost when bending tightly). Has shed a nice clean shed recently and doesn't appear to be going into shed. No mites or anything like that. I've checked for RI, and asides from feeding, changing water, and cleaning, he has been left alone with no handling, in a low traffic area.

He has fed twice since I've owned him (13th and 20th of February, pinkie mice both times). Pinkie mice are considerably bigger than his head, but he still got one down each time in the first 2 weeks. Both these times the mice were heated accordingly and brained. The first time was from tongues, the second time he refused and ate when it was left in the click clack overnight.

Since then, I've tried both pinkie and fuzzie mice and rats with no luck. Have brained, ripped the skin off the nose, used different heating methods, different temperatures, almost everything that has been suggested.

Is it worth a trip to the vet to see if there is anything underlying wrong? Does anyone have suggestions or explanations as to why he would be refusing to feed?

Thanks!

Can you give us a run down (photos would be best) of his setup and temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He is 7 months old.

Can't upload photos (just isn't letting me) but I'll describe it. A 7L sistema container with ventilation holes down the cool end. Heat cord under a tile for the heating at the warm end (set to 32 degrees, any higher results in bad sheds) and cool end sits around 26 most days. He has a water bowl at the cool end and multiple hides throughout, with paper towel as a substrate. Additionally, he has fake leaves (from a pet store) to provide more coverage to hide in as he is a very little snake and he seems to enjoy this (often being found to sit in the leaves and spending more time in the leaves than in any hides).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back