Chubby little snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever seen a 'pin head' snake?
I certainly haven't and I've only been in the hobby 30 odd years
What is a pin head snake??
I don’t know what it’s properly called, but it’s when you feed them too small of an item for too long, not allowing them to stretch their mouths fully.

This later causes problems, such as a small head, unable to stretch it fully etc.

Its called a pin head and referencing them is fine if you have knowledge to their existence so you can support your statement with fact.
I say again have you ever seen a 'pin head' snake? I haven't.

I had a 13ft Burmese male that would only eat mice. He was a perfect specimen without any sign's of 'pin head' so how does that fit with your philosophy?

I don’t know what it’s properly called, but it’s when you feed them too small of an item for too long, not allowing them to stretch their mouths fully.

This later causes problems, such as a small head, unable to stretch it fully etc.
You will probably find the "pin head" snakes have a genetic deformity that only allows limited mouth movement rather than it being from feeding small prey items. I can't see how stretching their mouth has anything to do with creating a small head.
[doublepost=1522308658,1522308316][/doublepost]I am not sure if snakes are similar to fish, but with fish if they are underfed their eyes will grow to be a little larger than usual which gives them a weird smaller head appearance. This may be the same in snakes and could account for the head looking smaller due to the eyes being larger.

I seem to recall reading on here that this so called pinhead to be the result of power feeding the animal.?
Whether it is or not, I'm not to say
Snake gets fed more frequently to promote growth and get fat, making their head look small.??
[doublepost=1522326310,1522326014][/doublepost]https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/accelerated-growth-rate-and-power-feeding.220413/

I can see some logic in what Bl69aze is saying but it doesn't make a snake a 'pin head'
If you feed smaller prey items I believe the skeletal mass will develop as a normal snake UNLESS there is a genetic deformity as mentioned above by Scutellatus. (Which I agree with the opinion that 'pin head' is likely a deformity)

Its MY OPINION that if you were feeding small prey items what would be affected is the muscle development around the jaw. Wouldn't look particularly disproportionate as that muscle development is not normally noticeable until they get into later life.

Don't forget that Male Stimsons are smaller than Females, I have a male and a female both the same age and they are chalk and cheese in size. I have my male on Hopper Rats and he seems very happy but my Female loves Quail and will take a Rat if she is hungry enough.

As long as he is happy and not hungry until the next feed, I think he will be fine. In this case Size doesn't matter, just give him plenty of love and attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back