Help I’m so new to all of this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Briony885

Reaction score
Hey I’m new to the reptile world. We are looking at getting a pet snake what would be a first good one my 11 year wants an olive python and I want a black headed python. Which is better?? And are we better off buying as a hatchling?? I need all the advice I can get before I buy it. Are either of these two snakes good as first pets?

I wouldn't say either is 'better' but I'm considering the suitability of an Olive for an 11 year old.
Both are large animals but Olives I think are a little too big, even if you bought a hatchling right now by the time its 4 years old it will be a fairly substantial animal.
Add size and your lack of experience to the size of the housing required and I think a BHP wins.

Whatever you decide to get I would always suggest a hatchling unless it was a particularly difficult species such as a pygmy python.

How about a woma? a bit smaller than the blackheads, but similar snakes. I've heard that they can be a bit bitey, but mine was the best handling snake I've ever had. His name was sid the sloth, because he moved so slowly. He was also toilet trained. Once he escaped and i found him eating dog food.

As a first Snake, I would recommend a Stimson Python or a Childrens Python. Both of these Snakes are very gentle and grow to about 1.2m, they live for a long time so you will need to make sure that you are willing to keep them for a while. Always get a Hatchling for a first snake, remember though, all hatchlings are a bit snappy until they grow a little. I guess it is because they are so small and they have a strong self preservation instinct until they know you and see your not a threat. A bite from a hatchling is nothing but the speed they can move is a bit unsettling but the bite doesn't hurt. I started with one Stimson and I now have 5 Pythons and love them dearly.

One piece of advice, start with a small enclosure or tub for a hatchling. As they grow you will need to get a bigger enclosure and then their final home. Snakes can get stressed if they go into a big enclosure, they need a small area that they can coil up into a ball and feel safe. Lizards aren't like that but Snakes are and you will have a happier and friendlier animal.

+1 for the Stimmy suggestion. Mine is an absolute gem. My spotted is just a teeny bit flighty and more nervous but the Stimmy is about as docile as pythons get.

Here's the Stimmy.
20180225_121610.jpg

Here's the Spotted.
20180225_122040.jpg

Both are great snakes.
20180225_122327.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back