Can baby snakes be kept in an adult size tank?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessi

Reaction score
I haven't gotten any enclosures or products for a snake yet (not getting one for a little while) so I was wondering if you could keep a hatchiling in a large tank, as it would be good if I didn't have to change tanks a lot. If not, when do you change them into an adult tank? And do they have a medium tank in between? (Sorry I am a total beginner and really want to be super prepared so the snake can be happy) :)

Yes they can but no they should not..

Young snakes prefer smaller areas with plenty of places to hide (and we mean plenty).
You can have them in a larger enclosure as long as you can provide the right microclimate and amount of hides. Basically recreate the Wheres Wally books where you need to search for him in all parts of the world and generally give up before you find him kind of setup...

There are some neat threads around on APS for setting up a "click clack" enclosure that would be much better suited for your new friend. Once they hit the right size, they can go into their permanent home (species dependant).

Thanks for the links Foozil (Newbie here, just doing my research before I select my first gorgeous RSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back