Do yearlings keep nice temperament and should i move to big enclosure when small

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Camarda

Reaction score
I recently got a yearling Darwin Carpet python M.s Varigeta. It has the most beautiful temperament, loves being handled and climbing up my body and wrapping around me, never tried to strike or bite once. Perfect feeder and shed perfectly. Just wondering if I keep regularly handling it will it remain like this through adulthood (i.e. will it keep this beautiful personality).

Also, i currently have it in a small plastic box with a water bowl and a heatpad and places to hide and was wondering, should i buy a large enclosure that will suit it when fully grown or should i get a smaller one and increase the size as it grows.

Cheers, Chris

Last edited:
Its behaviour will PROBABLY remain placid (at least for the greater part) though it could change depending on environmental changes.

I normally upsize gradually but have in the past gone straight to a 'mid size' enclosure and had no ill effects from the change.

Its behaviour will PROBABLY remain placid (at least for the greater part) though it could change depending on environmental changes.

I normally upsize gradually but have in the past gone straight to a 'mid size' enclosure and had no ill effects from the change.

Thanks heaps for that, do you think up-sizing the enclosure when it is so small will overwhelm it and negatively affect temperament, is that what you mean by environment change, cheers.

Thanks heaps for that, do you think up-sizing the enclosure when it is so small will overwhelm it and negatively affect temperament, is that what you mean by environment change, cheers.
Yes. They will feel less protected going from a nice comfy tub with a hide and water and heat to a large open area.

In saying this, if you provide enough hides, it should be ok, however you can generally just get larger tubs

Last edited:
I have known animals go through behavioural changes for many reasons.
I upsized some yearling BHP's last year to have them turn 'stroppy' for a couple of months.

I have known animals change behaviour in line with the seasonal weather changes, after breeding (particularly males), food changes/inappropriate food size or schedule and a whole range of other reasons, (or perceived reasons as you may prefer) as we never really know why animals behaviours change.

It all depends on the size of the animal, my Murray Darling was about a meter long when I got him and because he was a rescue animal I had no idea of age. I got him a converted display cabinet with a long branch and a second level. He is happy as and now 2m long and still very friendly. I don't agree with Tubs unless it is a small animal like a hatchling and that is a personal thing, as soon as they get some size, they should be moved to a larger enclosure and then a larger one again until you see how big it grows. My MD will get a new enclosure built for him soon at about 1.5m long and 600 high so he can stretch himself out a little and that will be his forever home.

I recently got a yearling Darwin Carpet python M.s Varigeta. It has the most beautiful temperament, loves being handled and climbing up my body and wrapping around me, never tried to strike or bite once. Perfect feeder and shed perfectly. Just wondering if I keep regularly handling it will it remain like this through adulthood (i.e. will it keep this beautiful personality).

Also, i currently have it in a small plastic box with a water bowl and a heatpad and places to hide and was wondering, should i buy a large enclosure that will suit it when fully grown or should i get a smaller one and increase the size as it grows.

Cheers, Chris
how old is your yearling snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back