New pythons. No idea.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No don't have a license as of yet. And before anyone has a mental breakdown, I do have every intention of getting one as soon as possible. Not sure how I go about getting one though, I know there was an office you could go and get one where I used to live but unsure about where I live now.

You really should have done your research before rushing into this. What you have done is in fact highly illegal (which CAN include huge fines or gaol time) as you cannot purchase reptiles without a license (or indeed animals that are off license).

There is no way you can ‘magically’ put these animals on your license and make it better. Depending on state in order to transfer to your own license you need the license # of the seller as well as some of their details.

I would suggest surrendering these animals to the appropriate authority so that they get proper care, then educate yourself on the laws regarding the keeping of reptiles. And of course research these animals and their care in depth.

No don't have a license as of yet. And before anyone has a mental breakdown, I do have every intention of getting one as soon as possible. Not sure how I go about getting one though, I know there was an office you could go and get one where I used to live but unsure about where I live now.
You aren’t entirely at fault, the seller should have checked if you had a license and he can get in trouble aswell if it comes down to dobbing people :p

You really should have done your research before rushing into this. What you have done is in fact highly illegal (which CAN include huge fines or gaol time) as you cannot purchase reptiles without a license (or indeed animals that are off license).

There is no way you can ‘magically’ put these animals on your license and make it better. Depending on state in order to transfer to your own license you need the license # of the seller as well as some of their details.

I would suggest surrendering these animals to the appropriate authority so that they get proper care, then educate yourself on the laws regarding the keeping of reptiles. And of course research these animals and their care in depth.
I agree... I've never understood the whole "I'm getting my license organised" approach... The fact is you cannot transfer animals you've already "illegally acquired" onto a licence you had granted 2 months after animals you got. It doesn't work like that... Just like I can't send my 9 year old down to the store in my Commodore and have her tell the cops when she gets pulled over "I'll have my licence in 7 years, it's all good".

I agree... I've never understood the whole "I'm getting my license organised" approach... The fact is you cannot transfer animals you've already "illegally acquired" onto a licence you had granted 2 months after animals you got. It doesn't work like that... Just like I can't send my 9 year old down to the store in my Commodore and have her tell the cops when she gets pulled over "I'll have my licence in 7 years, it's all good".

I agree a very dodgy transaction .. seller was very irresponsible hopefully the snakes wellbeing is taken care of . Not sure what you can do now about the whole licensing thing but the good news is there is plenty of good advice here on how take care of them properly

We may agree that Australian wildlife keepers licences are a massive over regulation but the law is the law.
I am moving my whole collection of reptiles and birds from NSW to Qld and it has taken 2 months to get the necessary licences and permits before I could move a single animal. I needed 3 levels of Qld licence and a special movement permit.

Murko this may appear harsh to you but the animals welfare here must be the priority and basic research (like get a good book) should have been done before getting the pythons. This would have explained the issues with housing 2 pythons together and the requirement for clean water regularly.
Reading this book (or others) will give you some understanding of keeping and caring for pythons, then you will be able to ask further questions on this site. If you are not prepared to invest the price of a book you should not be keeping animals that are totally dependant on you to survive.

View attachment 323758
I appreciate your input, and I have done quite a bit of research online, and asked three of my local pet stores, but the info I've gathered is questionable. One person told me that the "Darwin" would be sensitive to the humidity and that's why he never had a water bowl and why he was in the bottom enclosure, I was also told that snakes don't drink water, and that same afternoon I placed a water bowl in the enclosure with the snake that has never had one just to see what would happen, and sure enough he went straight to it and it looked a lot to me like he was gulping it down. So my research told me snakes don't drink, I have a Darwin carpet and a coastal carpet, they don't do well in humid enclosures, heaps of other stuff, but then I find out differently. That's why I'm here. To get advice off experienced snake owners who know first hand. But I will look into getting a book, I don't know enough obviously. But they're kept warm, between 25-30, humidity between 55-70%, they're fed and they both have water.

Not sure what state you are in but it can be very difficult to add animals to a licence that I assume came from another unlicensed keeper.
No matter what your intentions in the long term you have made a huge error in judgement and may not be able to keep these animals legally.

I was unaware that it worked that way with the licensing. I didn't realise it was so strict. I shall look into and do what is necessary.
And let's not lose our minds over this either guys. I understand you're all "looking out for the snakes best interests", but having a license isn't going to make me a better or worse owner?? I'm learning every day, as I'm sure the rest of you are. We all have to start somewhere. I also didn't come here to be put on the cross, I came here for help, so unless you have any HELPFUL advice, I'd appreciate if you kept your negative feelings/comments to your self.

Hey man, no one is trying to crucify you, just make you aware of what's actually what... Believe me, reptile keepers/enthusiasts are a very passionate mob and don't under ANY circumstances condone illegal activity. I think the best advice has already been given to you... Surrender the animals you have now, apply for the appropriate licence you require in your state and start over. Then all your i's are dotted and your t's are crossed. You're the only person here taking a huge risk, we're just trying to keep your a**e out of the slammer. That's not negative, I believe it is VERY helpful.

I appreciate your input, and I have done quite a bit of research online, and asked three of my local pet stores, but the info I've gathered is questionable. One person told me that the "Darwin" would be sensitive to the humidity and that's why he never had a water bowl and why he was in the bottom enclosure, I was also told that snakes don't drink water, and that same afternoon I placed a water bowl in the enclosure with the snake that has never had one just to see what would happen, and sure enough he went straight to it and it looked a lot to me like he was gulping it down. So my research told me snakes don't drink, I have a Darwin carpet and a coastal carpet, they don't do well in humid enclosures, heaps of other stuff, but then I find out differently. That's why I'm here. To get advice off experienced snake owners who know first hand. But I will look into getting a book, I don't know enough obviously. But they're kept warm, between 25-30, humidity between 55-70%, they're fed and they both have water.
Unfortunately that is typical of the "advice" you will get from most pet stores and it is a bad joke that in NSW private breeders will have to be educated to the standard of pet shops.

Like I said, I do appreciate everyone's advice. I'll do whatever I have to with the licensing thing, but for now I want to keep the snakes healthy and happy, that's the advice I'm after.

Like I said, I do appreciate everyone's advice. I'll do whatever I have to with the licensing thing, but for now I want to keep the snakes healthy and happy, that's the advice I'm after.
If you get a licence immediately online then phone the licensing people and explain your situation pleading ignorance they may allow you to keep them.
More important is to get a book or 2 and do a crash course on reptile keeping or you will be back on this site asking questions like "my darwin is having a bad shed" "my carpet is not feeding" "my darwin is making wheezing noises".

Last edited:
Thank you, yeah I wasn't aware that it could be done over the phone, now that I do know, I'll make the call today after work and hopefully have it resolved.

Best to ring the wildlife (Licencing) people in your state and explain the situation, they are the best people to help you in this situation, the longer you leave it the worse it will be for you (legality wise).

In the meantime, good on your for coming here and asking questions.

Keep the snakes separate, even when handling.

Snakes need water, if you don't want to leave the water bowl in there all the time, then some keepers will put one in 3 times a week.

First and foremost, the snakes need hides (one in the hot end, and if you can, one in the cool end). Snakes need to feel secure, so being very bare and open like your enclosure is set up, is very stressful for them. In the wild, they would be vulnerable to predators like that, hence why snakes hide away and come out to bask and get warm etc. You can use a cardboard box in the meantime, just make sure it's nice and snug for them to just fit into (not too big) with an entrance hole.

There's loads more to learn, (and it does sound like the humidity is pretty high), but here is an excellent set of articles to get you started. If you start off reading the first 3 articles, that will help you understand what your pythons need to be healthy and happy, and also about handling etc. Very informative.

http://www.southernxreptiles.com/RA ARTICLE PAGE.htm

In QLD a licence is only $75 for five years, I think it's an absolute bargain compared to other bills I have to pay. There is still a slim chance you could get these animals added to your licence, but only if the seller is licenced, and it's still a bit dodgy. Just get your licence and see if he/she can give you a movement advice (or whatever your state requires). I would only do this if you absolutely have to have those two snakes, otherwise I would hand them in and start over. Then you have a huge range to choose from and get exactly what you're after. Also the book that Yellowtail posted is fantastic. I would also highly recommend 'The complete carpet python'. they are a bit expensive, but the info in them is really helpful.

In QLD a licence is only $75 for five years, I think it's an absolute bargain compared to other bills I have to pay. There is still a slim chance you could get these animals added to your licence, but only if the seller is licenced, and it's still a bit dodgy. Just get your licence and see if he/she can give you a movement advice (or whatever your state requires). I would only do this if you absolutely have to have those two snakes, otherwise I would hand them in and start over. Then you have a huge range to choose from and get exactly what you're after. Also the book that Yellowtail posted is fantastic. I would also highly recommend 'The complete carpet python'. they are a bit expensive, but the info in them is really helpful.
I've become quite attached to them so hopefully I don't have to surrender them. If I do have to surrender them though does that mean they will be sold to someone else or are they euthanised or what's the process there?

Pretty sure they go up onto an adoption site like rspca or whatever, only reason they’d euthanise is if they are sick or if wild caught

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back