Question in ackie breeding/location

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maynie_Exotics

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am an American. I was wondering what are the Aussie’s thoughts when it comes to breeding ackies from different locals. I’m the United States, no one openly bred yellow ackies with reds, however it did happen. This was seen as something “not good” because they were considered a subspecies. The scientific community has deemed that ackies are all the same species, but different locals may display some physical differences.

What do Aussie’s believe or do when it comes to ackies? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.
A lot of the ackies kept in captivity here would not be known what locale they were. Having said that, I don't think anyone would breed yellow and red ones. Most people like to keep their reptiles pure, even if the locale is not known.

Welcome to the forum.
A lot of the ackies kept in captivity here would not be known what locale they were. Having said that, I don't think anyone would breed yellow and red ones. Most people like to keep their reptiles pure, even if the locale is not known.

Thanks for the insight. I’m wondering if what Americans consider a red or yellow ackie is something that was created due to the limited amount of specimens that the US had to start off with. I guess in a sense what is “pure?”

Can you expand on what ackies in Australian collections are like? Do you have red and yellow ackies or was this created by keepers in the US? Thanks.

There are what are called red and yellow ackies in the wild, and in collections. A 2006 study of their DNA revealed they are the same taxonomically speaking. There are some in collections that are "locale pure". There is a variation in size between different locales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back