Pygmy Dragon Question please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janette Leaney

Reaction score
I have 2 male Pygmy Dragons, just 1 year old this month, and over last week they have been just sleeping, not eating, drinking or doing much at all? Do they do this and if so, how long will it go on? Should I wake them to rub their tummies with Vitamin oil that I have? just wondering...please advise. Thank you. Janette

More specific info like living arrangements, temps etc please

Pictures too :)

I have 2 male Pygmy Dragons, just 1 year old this month, and over last week they have been just sleeping, not eating, drinking or doing much at all? Do they do this and if so, how long will it go on? Should I wake them to rub their tummies with Vitamin oil that I have? just wondering...please advise. Thank you. Janette
OK they have a heat rock, heat lamp, reptile light...etc. Just want to know if they do sleep at this time when it's not Winter yet...and if so, for how long?

Not sure if you're joking about the oil, lol!!! It's ok for them to start sleeping, days are getting shorter so it's the right time. In case you're not aware of it, heat rocks are dangerous and have caused some nasty burns in the past, so it's better to unplug it and let them get their heat from the lights. By reptile light I assume you mean a UVB light? If they're living together, be prepared for potential chaos when they wake up, male dragons have been known to not get along all that well.

Hi,
I own a beardie myself, not a pygmy, but still. This sounds normal, but I think that you should be careful with heat rocks as they can offer some nasty burns, as Chris 1 said. Bearded Dragons go into brumation in winter, so they will get a bit sluggish and so they will eat and drink less. If it persists and they are never active and don't move ever, I would suggests the vet.

OK also the temp is 27C and this morning one has woken up and is sitting up...the Vitamin Oil is from the Vet and he said put it on their tummies once a week...appreciate all your advice...will post a photo soon. Thanks guys...
[doublepost=1523586462,1523585282][/doublepost]IMG_2858.JPG
[doublepost=1523586533][/doublepost]Oops made the photo really large...sorry...but as of 10 minutes ago here is one of my boys...awake today after 3 days sleeping...Janette
[doublepost=1523590460][/doublepost]

Hi again there, so did you see the photo? finally got it done..

OK also the temp is 27C and this morning one has woken up and is sitting up...the Vitamin Oil is from the Vet and he said put it on their tummies once a week...appreciate all your advice...will post a photo soon. Thanks guys...
[doublepost=1523586462,1523585282][/doublepost]View attachment 323797
[doublepost=1523586533][/doublepost]Oops made the photo really large...sorry...but as of 10 minutes ago here is one of my boys...awake today after 3 days sleeping...Janette
[doublepost=1523590460][/doublepost]
Hi again there, so did you see the photo? finally got it done..
Well Done!

Hi Janette I have been keeping & breeding pygmies for about 8 years,yes they will go to sleep it's called brumation and happens every winter.You can't really stop them from doing what's natural,it will last anywhere from 3-6 months depending on where you are.
But your temps are too low,27 is the temp for the cool end.You really want a basking spot of about 36-38,pygmies can tolerate a max of up to 42C and unless you have a big enclosure you might need to separate them after brumation.
Also what the hell is vitamin oil???? never heard of it,it certainly isn't going to offer nutrition,maybe it might be for skin problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back