Should we kill them?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we really be suggesting people go around killing geckos if they haven't the slightest idea what gecko they're killing?

Agreed. There are enough rednecks out there killing anything they see without adding to the problems already faced by the natives.
I just don't see that killing one or two of them is going to make a load of difference. And the excuse that they still 'just slip in' with cargo doesn't wash with me either.
Probably about time someone did some real research into the species and their impact on natives rather than the carte blanche attitude we appear to be taking.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-13/asian-house-geckos-fast-invading-australian-homes/9644402

Should we really be suggesting people go around killing geckos if they haven't the slightest idea what gecko they're killing?

Killing them is not going to do much (even if people accidentally get a native one). It is a good idea to keep them out of areas where you keep reptiles if possible and they make good food for many species if you collect them from an area without poisons and freeze them. Also a good idea to keep them out of your computer power supply lol

I have read a few papers about them and never seen any with evidence they are displacing native geckos or causing other problems. They probably have a significant impact on urban ecosystems but some of that would probably be positive.

They are rampant right across Noosa but I've never seen them here in Toowoomba... yet.

Killing them is not going to do much (even if people accidentally get a native one). It is a good idea to keep them out of areas where you keep reptiles if possible and they make good food for many species if you collect them from an area without poisons and freeze them. Also a good idea to keep them out of your computer power supply lol

I have read a few papers about them and never seen any with evidence they are displacing native geckos or causing other problems. They probably have a significant impact on urban ecosystems but some of that would probably be positive.
Any chance you’d know where to find those papers?

As far as displacement goes I know in my area at least robust velvets were a common sight under the lights on the deck.
I haven't seen a robust velvet for over 5 years now. Only house geckos which were rare here before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back