Please help identify

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick3

Reaction score
749BA8C6-EA4F-4913-A72E-95B98305C701.png Hi all, the wife found this bugger at the back door while i’m at work.
Can anybody confirm that this is a Funnel Web?
This would be the 3rd found on property in 3 years.
Located Warrnambool SW Victoria.
Thanks in advance, Nick

Not a funnel web as it’s not glossy on the legs and head
(Hairy)

COULD be a trapdoor or wolf but can’t confirm as it’s an iffy angle and lighting

Not a funnel web as it’s not glossy on the legs and head.

COULD be a trapdoor but can’t confirm as it’s an iffy angle and lighting

Ok thankyou for the reply, much appreciated.
I thought it looked almost identical to a Male Sydney Funnel Web.
Just concerned as have young children.

Ok thankyou for the reply, much appreciated.
I thought it looked almost identical to a Male Sydney Funnel Web.
Just concerned as have young children.
Best way to move in my opinion is to get a plastic container and thin plastic “slide” and cover the spider with container and slowly slide the slide underneath then lift both up and move away then lift the container from the end away from you and let it free :)

As Bl69aze explained it is not a Funnel Web spider. Though you could certainly be forgiven for thinking it was. They do have a number of strong similarities. It is almost certainly a Southern Trapdoor spider, also known as the Melbourne Trapdoor. It appears to be a male given the large size of the pedipalps and the smaller size of the abdomen. Males go searching for females at this time of year, the likely reason you have encountered wandering. Here are a couple of web references for you to compare a drawing and a photo of this species: http://www.mov.vic.gov.au/spiders/images.aspx?pid=9&pic=99
https://natureshare.org.au/observations?species=Stanwellia+grisea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back