caterpillar ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassypants123

Reaction score
was wondering if anyone knew what kind of caterpillar this is. found sunshine coast region.

caterpillar.jpeg

Hi. It looks to me like Macroglossum hirundo - a species of day moth from the family Sphingidae found in the Cook Islands, Fiji, Papua, Society Islands, Northern Territory, Queensland and New South Wales.

The caterpillars are initially a lime green but then turn a dark colour.

The caterpillars feed on various members of the RUBIACEAE family, including

Alahee, Dye Plant, Mirror Bush, Sweet Morinda, Ant Plant, Pavetta and Hairy Psychotria.

Last edited:
Hi. It looks to me like Macroglossum hirundo - a species of day moth from the family Sphingidae found in the Cook Islands, Fiji, Papua, Society Islands, Northern Territory, Queensland and New South Wales.

The caterpillars are initially a lime green but then turn a dark colour.

The caterpillars feed on various members of the RUBIACEAE family, including

Alahee, Dye Plant, Mirror Bush, Sweet Morinda, Ant Plant, Pavetta and Hairy Psychotria.
thankyou so much

Awesome @Bluetongue1. It's been over 20 years since I was overly obsessed with insects so I'm a bit dusty but had a stab given the location (Sunny Coast hinterland) with which I'm very familiar with. The caterpillars are strikingly similar.

Agreed, they are very similar.

I knew it was Hawk moth larva - with the horn on the rear end and lack of hairs. Though I must admit I did not even look at the location. So many insects and other arthropods turn up in places where they are not yet officially recorded these days. Just based it on the dark black base colour and the bright orange head plates. When I lived in Carnarvon I spent many hours enjoying the sight of the hawk moths feeding on the bougainvillea flowers there. It’s not hard to see why some people call them Humming bird moths. Awesome creatures!

My favourite butterfly is by far the Blue Triangle. Have chased and filmed these guys for hours in my travels. Stunning insects.
[doublepost=1524562196,1524561865][/doublepost]Was actually bug hunting just this Sunday gone, this was my best find of the day.
20180422_154931.jpg

Nice shot of a Cotton Harlequin Bug (Tectocoris diophthalmus) on its favourite feeding plant, hibiscus. As kids we used to call them and Sheild Bugs “stink bugs”. They look like beetles but are true bugs with sucking mouthparts (Hemiptera).

Any ideas what this guy is? I was gardening and came across him as he was about to be popped in the green bin with some weeds. I’m in Melbourne, Victoria.

0A9A5510-D298-4A5E-B7B6-ECB577E3E462.jpeg

Sorry @Stompsy but I missed this post - have been inordinately busy of late sorting through my shed and putting the contents into storage. I am not sure if I can give you are positive ID on this one, but I will try. My bug books are all in boxes, until I get a place of my own.

Can you tell me what plant it was feeding on? It appears to be a young caterpillar that may not have fully coloured up. The reflected light also makes it difficult to determine any potential pattern. There appears to have been a bit of an orange pattern along the flanks – is that correct? Anyway, I would tentatively suggest that it might be the caterpillar of the Impatiens Hawk Moth Theretra oldenlandiae.

Sorry @Stompsy but I missed this post - have been inordinately busy of late sorting through my shed and putting the contents into storage. I am not sure if I can give you are positive ID on this one, but I will try. My bug books are all in boxes, until I get a place of my own.

Can you tell me what plant it was feeding on? It appears to be a young caterpillar that may not have fully coloured up. The reflected light also makes it difficult to determine any potential pattern. There appears to have been a bit of an orange pattern along the flanks – is that correct? Anyway, I would tentatively suggest that it might be the caterpillar of the Impatiens Hawk Moth Theretra oldenlandiae.
Thanks BlueTongue! Although I don’t remember specifics about the little guy and because I only noticed him after he went in the bin, im not sure which plant he would have been feeding on. After googling your suggestion, im not sure he looked like any of the images displayed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back