Bearded dragon enclosure for a newbie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reg casey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone i just signed up to this forum so plz be kind because i know this would have been asked before but here goes..
im going to get a bearded dragon i am sorting out my liscence as we speak. I have made my enclosure out of marine ply 900mm wide 600 high and 450 deep with a clear acrylic window virtually the same size... my lid is 2 parts with a piano hinge for the opening.. now my questions are more so about lighting... from what i have researched i need a 10.0 uvb tube and an infra red globe? Also im interested in knowing what ventilation and temps i should be looking at? my lid is going to have a mesh grill and was thinking maybe 1 on each side?? Any opinions would be awesome and id appreciate it cheers

You’ll need a ubv tube, T8. The red bulbs damage their eyes so go for a basking reptile light or a halogen 90W light. Ubv has to cover a third of the enclosure

Photos help heaps too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Post some photos of what we are dealing with :) maybe join up to “Bearded Dragon Community” on Facebook to get more accurate information

Resized_20180420_180635_6412.jpeg
[doublepost=1524689845,1524689780][/doublepost]the lid is different now though with a lift up flap half way

Looks way to small..

Its actually bigger than ones on disay in shops 900mm wide 600 high 450 deep
[doublepost=1524697000,1524696958][/doublepost]Display sorry

Take a photo of what you are using dude hahaha

Big for a juvenile
[doublepost=1524697152,1524697120][/doublepost]using?

Do you want advice or not??..put something like a ruler up next to it and take a pic. Because it doesn’t look big enough at all, not even for a juvenile

Yeah good luck getting advice :)

Ur quick to have a dig rather than tell me what the minimum size should be etc great help

That would be ok for a Pygmy. A central or Eastern would like at least a 4x2x2foot enclosure,....ie. 120x60x60.
Being a daytime lizard, it would be better off with normal daytime globe rather than a red one. I've never heard of red globes being responsible for eye damage. I use the phillips reflector globes, between 100w and 60 w depending on how your tank is setup, and the current daytime temps to get to around 40C. Spot on with to 10% UVB. Although 8 would also do.

06ff5dd7a3d017a2d0f3482ca235677b.jpg
1ccad13b2c816363b51b082419082f3d.jpg
8e9b015324c8d4825e4fa871e1121b3a.jpg
6972bf44eb5013df4dbc053c0dbe0f6b.jpg
ca74e4be58c5fb87de0d2ea1043b64c0.jpg

b827c18234d2ebbc7d0aeec48d72b92c.jpg
all the info you need

Last edited by a moderator:
Gidday Reg & welcome to the forum, good to see you doing some research before buying;Too many people buy and then ask "why is my reptile sick?"As Chris said you want a 120x60x60 cm or 4x2x2 in the old money.I keep and breed central and pygmy beardies and have for many years.
10UV is good,forget the red light,you want something that looks like the sun;A bright white light !
Also forget most of the rubbish in the above advert ,it is American and mostly unavailable in Oz.
Don't use paper or tiles in your enclosure, you need a rough surface which wears down claws (sand,rocks,logs etc.) to prevent foot damage.
As for vents,1 at each end,1 high and 1 low to allow good air flow,you don't want any in the roof as this will let out too much heat and also you want your door in the front because coming from above scares your little friend as he thinks it is a threat.Check out my favourite website.. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Hope this helps you mate,good luck with your new friend

like I said ,ignore that yankee sH17,most of it is rubbish and the rest of it is not available here.
Beardies are an Australian native, we know more about them than the Americans who seem to think they are a tropical species whereas they actually come from the desert.
If you want to learn more check out http://www.australianbeardies.net/index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back