Wild Coastal Carpet Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a x diamond? Looks like an area where you would get diamonds, and it looks like it’s got a bit of diamond colour :eek:

Is this a x diamond? Looks like an area where you would get diamonds, and it looks like it’s got a bit of diamond colour :eek:
Probably, but diamonds don't extend this far west.

Hi Bl69aze,

Mate, it looks nothing like a Diamond and typical of the Morelia spilota we get around here in the Bellingen/Dorrigo area.

Cheers,

George.

Yes, far more Carpet than Diamond. I've got a few photos on my phone of local (Telegraph Point) animals, which I'll upload when I get the charging port fixed on my phone (takes a charge, but won't connect to the micro usb to download photos :()! We get both forms here, and everything in between. I remember in one of Eric Worrell's early books he mentions a form of carpet he called the "Dorrigo-Kempsey Intergrade," which I guess is where the term "intergrade" came from all those years ago. The Diamond-looking animals we get here are similar to, but never quite look like the Diamonds from Sydney and further south.

Always nice to fine these guys at home in the bush Foozil...

Jamie

That looks exactly like the pure coastals I used to encounter in my chicken pen 50km west of Kempsey, NSW.

Hi Bl69aze,

Mate, it looks nothing like a Diamond and typical of the Morelia spilota we get around here in the Bellingen/Dorrigo area.

Cheers,

George.
Sorry, just the yellow looks like something you’d see off a diamond, with a carpet pattern

The similarity to diamonds, especially in colour, is clearly obvious, and hardly surprising given the proximity to classic diamonds. Diamonds don't just suddenly become coastals as you go north or Murray-Darlings as you go west, it's a gradual change (yes, pedants, less gradual going west), these are in a close proximity to diamonds and have obvious similarities, just as most populations of carpets generally have more similarity to nearby populations than farther populations.

Absolutely beautiful carpet... largely due to the yellow colouration influence from the similarity to diamonds! ;)

The similarity to diamonds, especially in colour, is clearly obvious, and hardly surprising given the proximity to classic diamonds. Diamonds don't just suddenly become coastals as you go north or Murray-Darlings as you go west, it's a gradual change (yes, pedants, less gradual going west), these are in a close proximity to diamonds and have obvious similarities, just as most populations of carpets generally have more similarity to nearby populations than farther populations.

Absolutely beautiful carpet... largely due to the yellow colouration influence from the similarity to diamonds! ;)
Ah ok.

On behalf of the carpet, thanks folks! :p

Sdaji, I don't know how many wild Diamonds you've seen but it looks absolutely nothing like them. It's just a typical Morelia sp morph that inhabits this part of the country.

I've seen plenty, and also carpets all up the east coast. I've travelled extensively and lived in multiple locations on the east coast where Morelia spilota occurs.

Do you honestly think it's complete coincidence that the most yellow Carpet Pythons within thousands of kms just happen to be right next to where yellow diamonds occur, even when considering the fact that there is continuous gene flow all along the east coast? These things literally exchange genes with nearby yellow diamonds.

It is very obvious to see that as you go north from, say, Sydney, the Diamonds become more yellow (less prone to being white and more prone to being yellow, as well as the amount of colour increasing/black decreasing). The blotches become gradually larger, more irregular, and more frequently coalesced as you travel north. Even mathematically calculably, this snake is intermediate in terms of colour tone, colour proportion, and pattern elements (eg blotch size, blotch number, and number of merged blotches), between the mean values of diamonds not far to the south and coastals not far to the north.

I've seen plenty, and also carpets all up the east coast. I've travelled extensively and lived in multiple locations on the east coast where Morelia spilota occurs.

Do you honestly think it's complete coincidence that the most yellow Carpet Pythons within thousands of kms just happen to be right next to where yellow diamonds occur, even when considering the fact that there is continuous gene flow all along the east coast? These things literally exchange genes with nearby yellow diamonds.

It is very obvious to see that as you go north from, say, Sydney, the Diamonds become more yellow (less prone to being white and more prone to being yellow, as well as the amount of colour increasing/black decreasing). The blotches become gradually larger, more irregular, and more frequently coalesced as you travel north. Even mathematically calculably, this snake is intermediate in terms of colour tone, colour proportion, and pattern elements (eg blotch size, blotch number, and number of merged blotches), between the mean values of diamonds not far to the south and coastals not far to the north.

Garbage.

Hmmm. Not sure what to think now o_O
[doublepost=1524823869,1524823655][/doublepost]
+1

Hi mate, may I ask what the approximate length of the python was, just a ballpark length...
Maybe around 2 meters. I meant decent find as in a more uncommon species (for me at least)

Hmmm. Not sure what to think now o_O
[doublepost=1524823869,1524823655][/doublepost]
Maybe around 2 meters. I meant decent find as in a more uncommon species (for me at least)
Awesome mate and no I wasn't having a dig at your "decent find" comment, It IS a decent find. I was always stoked with the ones I came across, even though they were hugging my hens. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back