Darwin Carpet Python Bad Shed Advice Needed!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick_98

Reaction score
My 3 year old Male Darwin Carpet Pythons having a bad shed that's been going on for the past 2 weeks been soaking him in lukewarm/room temperature water with a cut off piece of towel 2/3 of the shed has come off but his upper body to head hasn't I'm concerned as the eye caps haven't come off any suggestions would be greatly appreciated cheers

Hey Rick,
Removing eye caps isn't particularly difficult but if you aren't sure/confident in the process and its undertaken incorrectly it can lead to permanent eye damage.

Now, having said that I remove them myself without vet intervention. There are video's on you tube that demonstrate some of the methods that are worth watching to give you some idea but I would suggest using a vet or a mentor with experience before you attempt it for the 1st time. However, keep in mind that this is not a major concern for the snake at this stage. The caps will more than likely come off themselves at the next shed but to assist with that next shed give him a bit of a spray from time to time to increase humidity (or use a larger water dish/closer to the heat source) in the enclosure. If caps are not removed over an extended period the animal could end up going blind.

Thanks for the response he has a big enough water dish for him to soak in near the heat source but he doesn't seem to go near it much from what I see.
He's had a few issues with sheds in the past but usually always gotten the old skin off his head then I've assisted a little to get the rest off, From what I could see it almost looked as if the center of his eye cap has flaked off but the corners are still attached but doesn't seem like any of the shed on his face has started to peel so haven't been able to get a grip in order to assist with getting it off.
Also from what I'd heard in the past was bad if shed was left on the snake in any location and recommended to try and help remove it carefully after soaking.

I thoroughly wet the snake then coat it it Lucas paw paw ointment, misting in between till the snake feels really wet and greasy, wait about 5 mins the shed comes off really easily. My bad shedder is a nasty little bugger (if 2 metres of angry snake can be called little) and this method works quickly with as little stress as possible (the stress being on my part, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back