Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Here are photos of various plants and animals from the Wollongong region. These photos were mostly taken from late summer to autumn. I have not been out all that much recently due to work commitments.

A shot of typical habitat near Wollongong. The coastal forest is damp with eucalyptus forest on the slopes and subtropical rainforest is some of the protected drainages.
habitatMtKiera1.jpg

Here are a few photos from the southern highlands. The climate here is much cooler than on the coast and this is the closest place to Wollongong where I have seen Highland Copperheads.
BarrenGround1.jpg

BarrenGrounds2.jpg

Three-toed Skink (Saiphos equalis):
Saiphosequalis1.jpg

Cunningham's Skink (Egernia cunninghami) -- common in some areas.
Egerniacunninghami1.jpg

Eastern Water Skink (Eulamprus quoyii) -- common lizards in my area.
Eulamprusquoyii1.jpg

Eulamprusquoyii2.jpg

Mainland She-oak Skink (Cyclodomorphus michaeli) -- I see a few of these nice skinks every summer.
Cyclodomorphusmichaeli2.jpg

Cyclodomorphusmichaeli1.jpg

Broad-tailed Gecko (Phyllurus platurus) -- These lovely geckos are one of my favourites. They are common lizards near the 'Gong.
Phyllurus_platurus2.jpg

Phyllurus_platurus1.jpg

Phyllurus_platurus4.jpg

Phyllurus_platurus6.jpg

Mustard-bellied Snake (Drysdalia rhodogaster) -- I had a good year with this species and found four. This was by far the largest of those encountered.
MustardBellied3.jpg

MustardBellied4.jpg

Highland Copperhead (Austrelaps labialis) -- This snake was in the southern highlands and about about a half hour's drive from where I live. I don't often see these responsive snakes. This one hurtled itself at my legs a moment after taking the photos.
Copperhead2.jpg

Copperhead1.jpg

Eastern Small-eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) -- the most common snake in my area. These little snakes remain active through the winter.
Cryptophisnigrescens1.jpg

EasternSmallEyedSnake1.jpg

Marsh Snake (Hemiaspis signata) -- this one was on the road at dusk last week. The evening was cool and I was surprised to see one still active at this time of the year.
MarshSnake.jpg

This is good butterfly habitat. Lantana grew along the margins of this open area. Butterflies would often sip nectar from the lantana flowers and then bask on the ferns.
habitatMtKiera.jpg

Maclay's Swallowtail
MacLeaysSwallowtail2_400.jpg
MacLeaysSwallowtail1_400.jpg

Orchard Swallowtail and Meadow Argus
Papilioaegeusfemale1_400.jpg
Junoniavillida1_400.jpg

Australian Admiral
AustralianAdmiral2_400.jpg
AustralianAdmiral1_400.jpg

Painted Lady
Vanessa_kershawi2_400.jpg
Vanessa_kershawi1_400.jpg

Wonder Brown -- I don't have any good photos of the males. Females tend to sit along the trails but the orange males usually remained high in the canopy. This species exhibits a pronounced sexual dimorphism.
WonderBrown1-1.jpg

brown1_400.jpg
brownwonder3_400.jpg

Sword-grass Brown -- beautiful butterflies that I see mostly near the top of the escarpment.
SwordGrassBrown.jpg

SwordgrassBrown1_400-1.jpg
SwordgrassBrown1_400.jpg

SwordGrass.jpg

Common Brown females
CommonBrown2_400.jpg
CommonBrown3_400-1.jpg

Common Brown males?
Brown3_400.jpg
Brown2_400.jpg

Common Ringlet
Hypocystametirius2_400.jpg
Hypocystametirius3_400.jpg

Blues
blue2_400.jpg
blue1_400.jpg

Skippers:
skipper8_400.jpg
skipper2_400.jpg

skipper1_400.jpg
skipper5_400.jpg

skipper4_400.jpg
skipper3_400.jpg

Ctenucha -- one of the day flying moths. These are highly variable in pattern.
Eressaangustipenna4_400.jpg
Eressaangustipenna3_400.jpg

Ctenucha1_400.jpg
Eressaangustipenna1_400.jpg

Coreid and a strange grasshopper
Coreid1_400.jpg
Grasshopper1_400.jpg

Pied Lacewing -- I only noticed these for the first time this year. I saw them on my garage about a month ago but have never yet seen them in a natural setting.
PiedLacewing2.jpg

Garden Mantis -- I like the lovely azure patch on the forelegs.
Orthodoraministralis.jpg

spider -- interesting "shaggy dog" face.
spiderPrimbee.jpg

spiderPrimbee3_400.jpg
spiderPrimbee2_400-2.jpg

huntsman
spider3.jpg

Darwinia fasicularis
Darwiniafasicularis.jpg

Banksia ericifolia
Banksiaericifolia.jpg

Banksiaericifolia2_400.jpg
Banksiaericifolia1_400.jpg

Banksia marginata
Banksiamarginata1_400.jpg
Banksiamarginata2_400.jpg

Banksia serrata
Banksiaserrata1_400.jpg
Banksiaserrata2_400.jpg

Banksia spinulosa
Banksiaspinulosa2_400.jpg
Banksiaspinulosa1_400.jpg

Waratah and Drumstick -- both members of Proteaceae as are the Banksia.
WaratahFruit_400.jpg
Drumsticks_400.jpg

Mountain Devil and Flannel Flower
Lambertia1_400.jpg
flannelflower1_400.jpg

Epacris longifolia and Goodenia sp.?
Epacrislongiflora_400.jpg
Goodeniaceae_400.jpg

Pattersonia sp. and Native Violet
Pattersonia1_400-1.jpg
NativeViolet1_400-1.jpg

Orchid and Wattle
orchid1_400-1.jpg
Wattle3_400.jpg

Hyacinth Orchid:
HyacinthOrchid1.jpg

Styllidium sp.
Styllidium2_400-1.jpg
Styllidium1_400-1.jpg

King Parrot
KingParrot2_400.jpg
KingParrot1_400.jpg

Sugar Glider -- I hear this whenever I look for Broad-tailed Geckos but they are not so easy to see. This one was busy yapping and allowed me to walk beneath the tree where it was sitting.
SugarGlider.jpg

SugarGlider2.jpg

Spotted Owl -- Often heard and sometimes seen in the Broad-tailed Gecko habitat.
SpottedOwl1.jpg

Regards,
David

Awesome photos. I've never been able to see that amount of animals in the wild. Looks like you found a good spot.

Thanks, all, for the feedback.

Regards,
David

All beautiful photos, always look forward to your threads David, just amazing!

Is the spotted owl the same as a Boobook (ninox novaseelandiae I think thats how you spell it)

Awesome photos. Interesting to note that highland copperhead having a go at you. Did you provoke it? I find them to be a very shy and relaxed snake. Usually they will flatten there necks out, and get cranky at the start when they get the initial fright, but after that they usually calm right down.
Theyre my favourite snake in this area, i love them.

Thanks for the feedback.

Barramundi,
Boobook is another name for the Spotted Owl.

reptilerob,
I was very surprised when the Copperhead went airborne at me. I had only moved to a better position for the photos. The snake was not cornered or touched so its response was a surprise to me.

Regards,
David

I realise this is very old. But seeing as I have not seen it, I'd like to say it's some great photography. I have to say you are lucky to see several Sheoaks a year. I've seen 2 in 17 years and they occur on my property.

I realise this is very old. But seeing as I have not seen it, I'd like to say it's some great photography. I have to say you are lucky to see several Sheoaks a year. I've seen 2 in 17 years and they occur on my property.
i find a lot of these under rubbish/sheet iron on the eastern side of the lake sometimes 5 under the same piece of tin!

i find a lot of these under rubbish/sheet iron on the eastern side of the lake sometimes 5 under the same piece of tin!

Wow that's pretty awesome, I don't go out to the East side of the lake much. This would be about the right time of the year for them wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, the photos are gone. I remember David was/is a great photographer and found an astounding number of species (and specimens).

Bummer about the photos. Really want to see them since I live so close! Especially the orchids :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back