My Rough Scaled Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My roughies must be from a different planet. Never shown the slightest aggression and apart from my albino Darwins they are the only snakes I have no worries putting my hands in there to clean, change water bowls etc, problem free feeders, quite gentle taking rats off tongs. They do have long teeth that could break off if they did bite but they show no aggression at all. They don't grow as big as most carpets and provided they have suitable perches and ledges they are content and like their close relatives GTP's happy to stay in their favourite spot. (unlike GTP's they prefer to coil up on top of branch forks or rock ledges rather than wrap around a branch)
I keep temps up except for a short period of slightly cooler nights mid May - August, they come from a coastal area that stays warm all year and have evolved accordingly. They tend to refuse food for a longer period pre-shed and unlike some other snakes do not gorge so you have to feed them accordingly with smaller rats and a bit of variety like quail and keep them trim to suit their arboreal habits. When handled mine tend to wrap tightly around an arm and not explore around like some carpets.

Re temperament.
My original girl was extremely docile and tricky to feed at times. I got male sent up who fed great. Took a male from the clutch and bred it one from snake ranch and something in that last pairing set them off about 50% of them had a vicious streak. Was finally cool to see what threat display was all about. Haha

My RSP is a bit cage defensive, anything that goes in is food. Once out and on your arm, he's fine. But if I put him on the climbing frame and come back a few minutes later, apparently Im a huge threat, and the whole open mouth display and striking, it's quite funny (used to be scary but not anymore). I just throw a tea towel over the bitey end and pick him back up and he's fine.

Re temperament.
My original girl was extremely docile and tricky to feed at times. I got male sent up who fed great. Took a male from the clutch and bred it one from snake ranch and something in that last pairing set them off about 50% of them had a vicious streak. Was finally cool to see what threat display was all about. Haha

Do you breed them Neil?

No I still have three from the last clutch. They are two. I think they are a trio. One female can be agro but will grow out of it I think. The other two are fine.

No I still have three from the last clutch. They are two. I think they are a trio. One female can be agro but will grow out of it I think. The other two are fine.
Are you selling them?

Not the agro one :)

Yes although the calm female was actually sold as a hatchling and bought back by me. I haven’t had her for 6 month. Which is the rule in Queensland. I can send you the male. Really the female isn’t that agro I can pick her right up. It’s just like what snapped was saying when I have her out and go try pick her up she perceives me as a threat. The bites don’t hurt but draw a lot of blood.
[doublepost=1524709066,1524708857][/doublepost]she would make a great breeder I recon she could drop a clutch this year. She ghost to, changes colour.

I may breed mine this year but I'm in process of moving my collection to Qld and not sure if that may complicate things.

Have they got blue eyes or is it the camera?
They look so cool against there dark bodies

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Have they got blue eyes or is it the camera?
They look so cool against there dark bodies

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
They definitely have blue eyes. :)
[doublepost=1524733741,1524733504][/doublepost]
Lol - Thank you Stompsy! Such an inquisitive face!

I know what I am going hear.

Temperamental
Doesn't like to be handled
Hard to uncoil bc of fragile tail
Will bite
Will draw more blood bc of teeth design
Sometimes refuse food

SO my rebuttal is:

Gorgeous eyes
Nice fat head
Inquisitive
Pretty face
Arboreal (SO you'll see it more up on branch instead of being hidden in hide)
Lively
Unique feel

More pros than cons, and most cons apply to all pythons anyway!

Give me some more pro's (when you have time) about your little guy... (or girl)
I’ll get back to this as I can! Bit busy atm! Sorry!

Them blue are are just so cool

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Got my favourite little buddy out for some Queensland sun over the weekend, his head is changing shape now and he is starting to beef up so he is less 'noodle' like these days. My little mate is growing up!

IMG_2758.JPG IMG_2760.JPG IMG_2761.JPG IMG_2762.JPG IMG_2765.JPG

Lol - Thank you Stompsy! Such an inquisitive face!

I know what I am going hear.

Temperamental
Doesn't like to be handled
Hard to uncoil bc of fragile tail
Will bite
Will draw more blood bc of teeth design
Sometimes refuse food

SO my rebuttal is:

Gorgeous eyes
Nice fat head
Inquisitive
Pretty face
Arboreal (SO you'll see it more up on branch instead of being hidden in hide)
Lively
Unique feel

More pros than cons, and most cons apply to all pythons anyway!

Give me some more pro's (when you have time) about your little guy... (or girl)

Hi Lanea,

You are going to hear a lot of differing opinions, not just on here either. You need to do your research basically, just read articles and good reference books, my friends made comment that I was reading my 'soon to be a mum' books because I was so invested in doing things right. Also, find a good breeder, someone who will answer your questions leading up to purchase and help you down the track should something happen. My Roughie was my first python, I had wanted one ever since I first saw the cover of Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons by Mike Swan (a recommended read) so for 15 years I waited, and now I have a wonderful son! He is healthy, seems content and makes me happy simply being at home, I don't go crazy with the handling, I just love watching him do his thing, so he is relaxed. Also, he will spend more time on the ground under a hide than you anticipate for an arboreal snake, don't fret if he does. Their tails are no more a concern than any smaller python, just use care and try 'tickling' their underside to encourage them to let go, works for me. I have been bitten twice, both times were my own fault (once feeding and once after I spooked him from a nap), it bleeds but you will survive, it does not hurt much while they are young, it's more the shock. I have never had a food refusal, he eats on average every 10 days in the evening in a feeding tub and has done so with me for 12 months now.

In my opinion, you are more likely to succeed with something you want and for the bad press I have heard, I have never had a drama. He is so easy to handle, just head shy and a little jumpy, more his personality I think, but he is never aggressive with me and tolerates my handling like a champ. Like purchasing any pet, meet the breeder, see the animal and if possible meet it's parents to see what they are like, the guy I dealt with was awesome and gave me great starting advice before I even rocked up to meet my little mate. Just do your research and don't be afraid to ask questions. But this is all just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
Just a shot of my darling master Maurice snoozing this morning, he made a mess in his hammock overnight so decided to try a branch instead. I managed to remove the hessian and take some photos all without waking the little dear. Nice to see he can actually climb and perch when he wants to, I was starting to think he wasn't 'arboreal' after all hahahahahahahaha!

IMG_2811.JPG

Harry aren't you worried he is going to slither away into your car and you are not going to be able to find him? Just saw your pic of roughie on your car!

I have four new babies, (A GTP, Spotted, Coastal and Albino DP) I bring them out to handle but am scared to let them go in case they go somewhere and get stuck (Inside at this stage, I'm talking) Especially bc I'm in Melb and its freezing. I tried to put them a few times on my carpet and then they gravitate straight to the heater (wall furnace type) And then I panic and pick them up again...

I know with more experience and in summer I'll be more relaxed hopefully. But I'd be scared to put them anywhere they could get into where I wouldn't be able to get them out of.

Sorry if this sounds dumb. I'm new and learning...
[doublepost=1526473986,1526473135][/doublepost]
That's one of my adults, they are really tame and never looked like biting.
View attachment 323915 View attachment 323916

Those glass eyes are ridiculous!!!! So beautiful Yellowtail.
I have my hands full at the moment. But really can't wait till all my new guys are settled so I can get me a roughie!

Most incredible adorable faces they have! They are super inquisitive and want to know whats going on! Love them. Handled one at the Herp Shop once.
But he is no longer with them.

Re: Biting, Meh, I've been bitten before. Doesn't phase me (not by mine, others I've handled and was my fault of course)

Hi @Lanea

I understand, I was super anxious about losing him 12 months ago when I first brought him home, he was tiny though, it takes time to relax with them and get to know what they are likely to do and I am always right next to him when he is out so I can grab him if he is being mischievous! Also, most of the panel gaps I leave him sitting near are quite small on the car, I kept nudging his head away from the larger ones between photos hahahahahahahaha. I know what the little bugger does these days for the most part by his body language, so I can see if he is planning a dash move or just cruising around and chilled, the more relaxed I am, the cruisier he is. Worst case, I pull the car apart until I find him, once the bonnet is lifted its all exposed so easy enough to do (the car had been sitting all morning, NO engine heat so all safe), but really he just wanted to try and curl up on the black bonnet that was warming up in the morning sun, so I kept my hand there to support him and stop him from sliding off. I am just lucky he is an easy to handle little guy and isn't hard to move if need be, I wouldn't take him out and put him on the car for photos if I wasn't comfortable with him, not worth the risk.

Can someone please advise what the going rate for an RSP in Vic would be. They are currently harder to come by here in comparison with NSW and QLD.

I have seen prices in the northern states. Which seem a lot slower. Really interested to know what is currently being charged in Vic for anyone who has bought one in say the past 12 months.

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back