Marine ply or melamine?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Stark

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys looking to build a 6 foot enclosure for my ackies permanent home. Should I use marine ply or melamine? Also is it necessary to seal with a pond sealer?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hey Tony, I build my enclosures out of pine,marine ply is too exy and over the top and I don't like melamine.
Pond sealer is only necessary for wet enclosures like water dragons,Boyds Forest dragons etc.

Hey Tony, I build my enclosures out of pine,marine ply is too exy and over the top and I don't like melamine.
Pond sealer is only necessary for wet enclosures like water dragons,Boyds Forest dragons etc.
Excellent thanks for the info.

I use melamine and love it. Used it for 30 years and never had a problem but its down to the individual.
Joints need sealing. I use silicone bathroom sealant just to stop and damp getting into unprotected timber.

Easy to cut, easy to build, easy to keep clean. And built properly in a timber look finish looks pretty good too.

I use melamine and love it. Used it for 30 years and never had a problem but its down to the individual.
Joints need sealing. I use silicone bathroom sealant just to stop and damp getting into unprotected timber.

Easy to cut, easy to build, easy to keep clean. And built properly in a timber look finish looks pretty good too.
Is there anywhere I can download a standard cutting dimension sheet of I can just give to bunnings so they can cut it to correct size?

Not sure but its not difficult to work out yourself once you know the dimensions of your enclosure

Any tips on cutting the melamine with out chipping it Paul and do you use MDF or chip board melamine

If I run masking tape along the edges I'm cutting and a good quality blade I don't have much of a problem.
MDF is what I use. Not for any specific reason.

Form ply is not cheap either,over $100 per sheet last time I looked
Only from Bunnings.... Seen it for as little as $40 for a 2400x1200x17 sheet.

Problem with some engineered boards for industrial and commercial use is it can often have an elevated formaldehyde content, depending on its manufacturer/country of origin. Fine for formwork etc but possibly not so great for some situations.

Formply is often also heavy as sh$t.

I use CD structural ply or flooring ply where I can get away with it (where it won’t be seen) or use the C side facing out and go over it with wood filler and a good sand and it comes up pretty reasonably.

i made my enclosure out of marine ply and it looks amazing but im a carpenter so we have alot of offcuts... if your going to cut it all yourself id recommend doing it on a panel saw or take it to a cabinet maker they will probably cut it for a slab of beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back