Spencer’s monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The stuff from Bunnings dries into fine sand. You might have to stir it around to break any little clumps, but it doesn't clump again (until pooped in, lol).

Samphore the great I named him
TwAtaHt.jpg

Looks like Dino from flint stones in that red harness lol, so cool

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

bIt5QZR.jpg
Put a 125 w Mercury vapour bulb today and it’s like the hottest time of summer. O my god how much heat can they withstand. Pardon the poo but I’m not in a hurry to stuck my hand in there while his basking. And o yes I need to find a substrate solution. I took his artificial grass to the dump. He has a tub of play sand. Climbs in it by doesn’t dig

Put your hand in, unless he's super hungry. That's the only time I'm nervous about putting my hand in with our Spencer's. Any other time, she's placid and quiet.
Our yellow spotted, that's another story. He's permanently hungry seemingly. I have to be careful just changing his water, lol.

Pine family when ever his basking I know not to stick my hand in there. He tries to attack me through the glass. I can pull him out of hiding fine though.

On an other note I love monitor so much now I’d love a pair of gillieni monitors to try and breed.

And o yes I need to find a substrate solution. I took his artificial grass to the dump. He has a tub of play sand. Climbs in it by doesn’t dig

Get some clay soil, you can find it in most areas if you dig a bit (except on the beach or other really sandy places). It will set like a rock and they can dig a tunnel system in it.

Yeah pine family I couldn’t handle a sand monitor V panoptes or whatever they are.

Thanks Chris the people got it off recommended clay soil. But I’m going to have to check out the plant nursery and see if they have it. Fill his cage with that
[doublepost=1518851633,1518851583][/doublepost]I actually live at the beach

Put your hand in, unless he's super hungry. That's the only time I'm nervous about putting my hand in with our Spencer's. Any other time, she's placid and quiet.
Our yellow spotted, that's another story. He's permanently hungry seemingly. I have to be careful just changing his water, lol.
My flavi is the same. I wear gloves every time I handle him because he thinks everything is food. He’s a lovely boy though, just food crazy.

Yeah pine family I couldn’t handle a sand monitor V panoptes or whatever they are.

Thanks Chris the people got it off recommended clay soil. But I’m going to have to check out the plant nursery and see if they have it. Fill his cage with that
[doublepost=1518851633,1518851583][/doublepost]I actually live at the beach
Not sure if it the sort of thing you can buy, it isn't good for most plants or other normal uses. You can steal it from all sorts of places lol...

Wow Chris amazing video. I guess the soil I imagined wasn’t as high a consistency of clay as the clay soil your talking about. I don’t now where to find that unless I just fill his cage with play sand for now. So he has better footing.
[doublepost=1518853296,1518853128][/doublepost]I understand they live the black soil country and spend most their time hiding in the deep cracks so clay is something I’ll look into.

Wow Chris amazing video. I guess the soil I imagined wasn’t as high a consistency of clay as the clay soil your talking about. I don’t now where to find that unless I just fill his cage with play sand for now. So he has better footing.
[doublepost=1518853296,1518853128][/doublepost]I understand they they live the black soil country and spend most their time hiding in the deep cracks so clay is something I’ll look into.

It doesn't have to have that much clay in it. I was actually looking for another video of his, but just posted that one anyway. An ideal soil for them is pretty much anything that holds together when it is dry. In a large enough enclosure they will build tunnels and typically will not crap in their home.

Ok thanks I’ll see what I can find

One of the sands you can buy from sand and metal places will hold its shape, especially if damp. Can't remember which one, maybe builder's sand?

Love these guys, I’m trying to source a Spencer’s right now, I’ve designed my big enclosure that will house it as an adult, seems they are very hard to find at present.

I swear I must of got a docile as Monitor. I put my hand in front of him and fully covered his face to stop him from jumping out his enclosure and he didn't give two sh!ts, I can full on pat him on the back without him caring. Change his water, pick up his poo, etc.

Even hand feed him Chicken Necks and put it there straight after and he wont bite it. Don't really want to try that with Mice though as they're that small he might miss and nab my hand.

Only time he shows any real sight of aggression is if I disturb him during sleep.

I swear I must of got a docile as Monitor. I put my hand in front of him and fully covered his face to stop him from jumping out his enclosure and he didn't give two sh!ts, I can full on pat him on the back without him caring. Change his water, pick up his poo, etc.

Even hand feed him Chicken Necks and put it there straight after and he wont bite it. Don't really want to try that with Mice though as they're that small he might miss and nab my hand.

Only time he shows any real sight of aggression is if I disturb him during sleep.

From most people I’ve spoken to who have them they are a great monitor to own, obviously there’s always the exception to every rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back