Sexing Ackies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil_Birdy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I never really bothered with trying to sex my ackie when I first got him and he was really tiny, but I pulled him out for a bath today because he was shedding and I thought "hey, why not?" and googled ackie sexing. While me and my family refer to Bertie with male pronouns, I'd previously reckoned that he was a she, because I'd never seen any hemipenal plugs. He also used to push his cloaca out and/or defecate when I first started handling him as a hatchling, but he never everted his hemepenes.

However for the first time today I had a real close look around his cloaca and there were little tiny bunches of spurs and I was quite curious if that indicated he was male and - yes I'm pretty certain he is!
Screenshot (29).png

This first picture is from Danny Brown's Guide to Australian Monitors, and shows Linear para-cloacal spur clusters on an ackie.

And here is a picture of my ackie, Bertie's spurs.
20180523_154132.jpg

It might seem silly, and there are way more experienced monitor keepers out there who would have no trouble at all, but I guess I'm just really excited to know that he is, in fact, a he, and I hope that this can help out any other novice ackie keepers!

Have a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back