Rare black kookaburra spotted in Western Australia believed to be first sighting in state for decade

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
abc.png
ABC South West WA
By Stan Shaw
8 Jun 2018

9845188-3x2-700x467.jpg
PHOTO: The rare black kookaburra was seen in a backyard in Manjimup, WA. (Supplied: Mike)

Australia's bird experts have had to trawl through the record books after the sighting of a rare black kookaburra in a Western Australian backyard.

Amateur photographer Mike (surname withheld) said he could not believe it when he looked out the kitchen window of his Manjimup property, about 300 kilometres south of Perth, and spotted the rare bird.

"I saw this black bird on the garden shed and I said to my wife 'Crikey, that looks like a kookaburra', and I knew it was by the beak," he said.

While sightings of black kookaburras have been recorded in parts of New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland, there is little evidence of the bird ever being spotted in WA.

Australian Birdlife magazine editor Sean Dooley has seen a lot of unique birds himself and through correspondence from his readers, but WA's black kookaburra had him trawling through his record books.

"The two reports of black ones I have are from Brisbane and Sydney areas, but none from WA," Mr Dooley said.

9845468-3x2-700x467.jpg
PHOTO: Sightings of black kookaburras have been recorded in parts of New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland, but there is little evidence of the bird being spotted in WA. (Supplied: Mike)

One of country's first sightings was in WA
Bird experts around Australia agree the black kookaburra is very rare, but a WA-based ornithologist believes one of the country's first sightings was in Western Australia.

Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions ornithologist Allan Burbidge said the existence of a black kookaburra was first documented in Australian literature in 1951.

That bird was spotted in the WA town of Coolup, 100 kilometres south of Perth.

"There was a farmer named Angus Robinson in Coolup, and when it was brought to his attention he wrote it up in the Western Australian Naturalist," Mr Burbidge said.

"Since then, I don't know if there have been others, but I know of some reports from Victoria and south-east Queensland."

"It probably is the first sighting for a long time."

Genetic mutation can affect all birds
Experts are still trying to understand what makes some birds albino or completely black.

Mr Burbidge said their colouring was essentially the result of a genetic mutation.

2364710-3x2-340x227.jpg
PHOTO: Kookaburras can also be albino, like this one found in Queensland's far north in 2010, but it is rare. (AAP)

"What we know is that some mutations in birds can upset the production of pigments and result in excessive production of melanin, which is the very dark pigment," he said.

Mr Burbidge said while most people were aware of albino birds, black ones were rarer but were not confined to kookaburras.

"Albino [birds] are about 20 times more common than black ones," he said.

"You get black birds from other species groups as well, not just kookaburras.

"Black birds have been recorded from a whole range of bird groups from pelicans to magpies and even some small song birds."

Thanks Kev all a good read did not think a feral cat could become domesticated my wife's family have a big beef cattle property and the cats we trap go blistic in the trap you have to take old towels to put over the trap to stop them smashing themselves up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back