Stimi questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumpkin

Reaction score
Hi all. Just wondering do stop handling ur stimi during winter? Hes stopped eating. But still comes out. Should i limit handling till it warms up or keep gettinf him out everyday?
Cheers

Why not? Keep them quiet. First snake. No need to judge

Not judging just wanting to know why you handled it every day... my stimmy gets handled once every 6 weeks perhaps. Daily handling will upset/unsettle it nore than anything else...

If he’s not eating, limit the activity. By waking him up and moving him around you’re forcing him to use energy stores which are supposed to last him the entire winter season.

My female is about 20 months old now and she actively seeks my attention at the glass and once opened, she pops right out and on to my own hand without being hooked out picked up.
She evens expects me at certain times of the day as she knows in the morning and afternoons, she gets to have a sun bake with me on the deck.
Obviously all snakes are different - my Coastal and Diamond are more reserved but my ADP and the Stimmie are more than happy to hang with Mum and come out of their enclosures of their own free will as regularly as possible.
Just saying.
Not judging just wanting to know why you handled it every day... my stimmy gets handled once every 6 weeks perhaps. Daily handling will upset/unsettle it nore than anything else...

Id like for him to be comfortable with coming out every day and hanging around with me for a bit.

That sounds a little like anthropormophism... I understand what you're saying and thinking/interpreting (it's normal for humans to impose our emotions/feelings onto other creatures) but a snake's tiny brain doesn't enable it to actively seek out your companionship and bond with you and have "hang with mum time in the sun"... that's not actually what's going on.

That sounds a little like anthropormophism... I understand what you're saying and thinking/interpreting but a snake's tiny brain doesn't enable it to actively seek out your companionship and bond with you and have "hang with mum time in the sun"...
Obviously I don’t think my snakes are waiting on me for some one on one. I’m not special in the head.
My interpretation of their behaviour is that they are happy to come out and say hello regularly. I don’t have to remove them from their homes.
They have become accustomed to positive stimulation at certain times of the day and are content to participate.
I do realise my snakes are not puppies.

Obviously I don’t think my snakes are waiting on me for some one on one. I’m not special in the head.
My interpretation of their behaviour is that they are happy to come out and say hello regularly. I don’t have to remove them from their homes.
They have become accustomed to positive stimulation at certain times of the day and are content to participate.
I do realise my snakes are not puppies.

What you describe is anthropomorphism (a human tendency to attribute human traits, emotions or intentions to non-human entities such as animals). I don't think you quite understand snake behavior. They do not possess the ability to display emotions such as affection and do not nor need to develop a bond with their keeper. So they're not, as you put it and seem to believe, "happy to come out and say hello regularly". They don't care to respond to or have the cognitive ability to recognize, what you refer to as, positives stimulation nor are they able to determine or relate to time as humans do. They tolerate being handled but don't really like it. Left to their own accord they would prefer to be as far away from human contact as possible. If you don't believe me then just leave the enclosure door open and see what happens.

I have to admit... its hard to not handle a brand new snake in the family... but i think i stuffed my current baby snake up, by handling almost every day for a few months... she was always out and about and now she rarely comes out :(

so now i only get her out when she needs a clean or something.

what i can say is dont take this feedback as "dont handle ever unless absolute necessary" - snakes can get your smell and understand you are not a threat, handling sometimes like once a week should be fine.

its also fine to have fun now and then..

be a tree, become the tree!

What you describe is anthropomorphism (a human tendency to attribute human traits, emotions or intentions to non-human entities such as animals). I don't think you quite understand snake behavior. They do not possess the ability to display emotions such as affection and do not nor need to develop a bond with their keeper. So they're not, as you put it and seem to believe, "happy to come out and say hello regularly". They don't care to respond to or have the cognitive ability to recognize, what you refer to as, positives stimulation nor are they able to determine or relate to time as humans do. They tolerate being handled but don't really like it. Left to their own accord they would prefer to be as far away from human contact as possible. If you don't believe me then just leave the enclosure door open and see what happens.
I feel I’ve explained my comment adequately.
I don’t see my snakes as puppies, nor do I fantasise about them displaying human characteristics or even responding to me in kind.
I simply highlighted the fact that they are content to come to me and stay in my company outside of their enclosures and not abscond.
I did not suggest that they are bonded with me or seek my affection.
They don’t seem to sit or stay when I say so and so far, seem averse to shmackos as rewards for not pissing on the carpet.

Have I adequately replied to your condescending response?

if i didnt have to worry about upsetting some people, i'd say handle him as much as you want... you would experience a behaviour change in your lil friend however

Yet you're the first to one to hand out advice and you're own husbandry seems to be somewhat questionable alot of the time ???
would u believe i followed someone elses (well known) advice to get her out often to make sure shes not snappy

would u also believe ive never had a health problem?????even BEFORE i joined this site. amazing questionable husbandry. meanwhile you get every week people with health issues such as RI.

I feel I’ve explained my comment adequately.
I don’t see my snakes as puppies, nor do I fantasise about them displaying human characteristics or even responding to me in kind.
I simply highlighted the fact that they are content to come to me and stay in my company outside of their enclosures and not abscond.
I did not suggest that they are bonded with me or seek my affection.
They don’t seem to sit or stay when I say so and so far, seem averse to shmackos as rewards for not pissing on the carpet.

Have I adequately replied to your condescending response?

I really don't care if you think my response was condescending or not, everything you've written here contradicts what you have stated in your previous post. I won't bother offering anymore advice because it appears that I would be just....

673.gif

While the meaning of the term anthropomorphism may be known (via Wikipedia), it is still being used far too often incorrectly. There is nothing anthropomorphic about the statements made here, bar one. That statement is: “… they are happy to come out and say hullo”. No. Use of the word “happy” here is NOT an example. When used with the infinitive “to” after it, the term simple means “willing”. (Oxford dictionary - meaning 1.3 as an adjective).

The phrase to “say hullo” is clearly a figure of speech, as snakes cannot talk. So that allows a little leeway in interpretation. How you as a reader interprets this is no doubt dependent on your perspective in this discussion. Greeting behaviour between animals and their owners is very common and is seen in social animals, including invertebrates. Clearly this is not exclusively a human trait and so does not qualify as anthropomorphism.

“My female is about 20 months old now and she actively seeks my attention at the glass.” This IS exactly what happens. Why does a snake in the wild freeze when it thinks there is a predator/threat nearby? It instinctively knows that movement will attract attention to itself and therefore it remains motionless, in hope of avoiding detection. So what’s so hard to understand about a snake deliberately moving around at the front of its cage to attract its keeper’s attention? I have observed this behaviour and it clearly differs from a snake’s normal cruising of its enclosure when it unaware there is someone present.

As for proving a snake just wants to escape by leaving the door open - trying leaving the gate open for the dog or the cage door open for the parrot. This proves nothing. I might add, if the snake really just wanted to ‘escape’ in the genuine meaning of the word, then it would head straight for the floor and not its keeper’s arm.

Intelligence is the other term that is problematic in these discussions. It used as if there is only one level thereof. Either an organism is intelligent or it’s not. Yet we all know that intelligence varies hugely among humans. Why then do we not acknowledge a much greater range of levels of intelligence when talking about other species?

Can snakes learn? Have a read of this: http://www.rochester.edu/pr/releases/bcs/snake.htm. The following Brian Barczyk video is well worth watching: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back