My Rough Scaled Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please advise what the going rate for an RSP in Vic would be. They are currently harder to come by here in comparison with NSW and QLD.

I have seen prices in the northern states. Which seem a lot slower. Really interested to know what is currently being charged in Vic for anyone who has bought one in say the past 12 months.

TIA

I purchased mine at the expo a few years back and I think I paid $150 - $200 for him...

I might have the sellers details if you were interested in buying one? He was a roughy and GTP breeder.

375D8136-3EE7-4909-B32C-3BAF631773AB.jpeg E931D335-E8D1-4149-9537-EA41EE0FBAEA.jpeg

I purchased mine at the expo a few years back and I think I paid $150 - $200 for him...

I might have the sellers details if you were interested in buying one? He was a roughy and GTP breeder.

Yes please - when you have time I’d really appreciate a PM with contact details. TIA

So now being upfront, I have been offered a female 4 yr old ready to breed for $400 - TBH I felt it was overpriced which is why I consulted the forum.

Hearing what you paid, kinda confirms to me it’s overpriced, but then I have no experience in buying an older female RSP in Vic. I’m purely a hobbiest with zero intention of breeding. RSP is my favourite python, I want one purely out of loving them, don’t need a ‘female ready to breed’ which is apparently why it’s priced at $400 (as per sellers explanation) If that is genuinely what bumps up the asking price, then I am happy to wait and start out with a male hatchy and wait til next Vic expo in march or whenever a hatchy next pops up with a breeder.

This is the stunner in question....
(See thumbnail pics)
[doublepost=1530077366,1530076771][/doublepost]So seller has just text me saying he is willing to sell her to me for $350. Would this be considered a reasonable asking price? (Again in Vic, realise they are less in QLD or NSW) Or is it still overpriced? Have no idea...

Last edited:
I think reptiles are like anything, they are worth what you are willing to pay. I bought my little dude at just over 12 months old, he was undersized as he was late to start feeding but hasn't missed a feed since I had him. I paid $250 for him (not including a speeding fine on the road trip as I was a little keen to collect him... bad bike!), and I felt this was more than fair. I have seen some for $5-600 each and the same price for breeding pairs (some pairs with the full setup!), considering they were $10,000 when first released on the market, anything in the hundreds seems quite reasonable to me. You need to be happy however to pay whatever amount you choose for one, at the end of the day it's your pet and your outlay alone, if you only see the dollar signs whenever you look at her it will take the joy from you, seeing the amended price of $350 doesn't seem outrageous to me if you can afford her, but the choice is ultimately yours. She is cute though ;)

Thanks Harry, appreciate this. Asking for two reasons, 1) I literally paid double the going rate for my albino Darwin a few months back. I researched the snake, care, behaviour, enclosure, etc. Everything but the price lol, only to find out the following week it was extremely overpriced. 2) There seems to be a huge gap btw Qld prices and Vic prices with Carinata. I have assertained in my 4 months of trying to secure one, that they aren’t as easy to come by in Vic, well at least not currently, but as I am a newer keeper, I wanted to confirm that this indeed correct, in which case the asking price does seem fair.

I’m with you, anything you love, snake or otherwise is worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. Being my favourite reptile combined with them not being as readily available here, to me it’s worth the asking price. In addition I could get one from an interstate keeper who I wont know from a bar of soap and also have to consider the added on freight costs.

Today I actually ‘met’ the snake. Appears very healthy and owner feeds all his snakes ‘light’. Also the owners set up for all reptiles he keeps is in immaculate order, which was impressive and gave me even more confidence.

Going to go ahead with Roughie and collect her on the weekend.

Last edited:
View attachment 324683 View attachment 324684

Yes please - when you have time I’d really appreciate a PM with contact details. TIA

So now being upfront, I have been offered a female 4 yr old ready to breed for $400 - TBH I felt it was overpriced which is why I consulted the forum.

Hearing what you paid, kinda confirms to me it’s overpriced, but then I have no experience in buying an older female RSP in Vic. I’m purely a hobbiest with zero intention of breeding. RSP is my favourite python, I want one purely out of loving them, don’t need a ‘female ready to breed’ which is apparently why it’s priced at $400 (as per sellers explanation) If that is genuinely what bumps up the asking price, then I am happy to wait and start out with a male hatchy and wait til next Vic expo in march or whenever a hatchy next pops up with a breeder.

This is the stunner in question....
(See thumbnail pics)
[doublepost=1530077366,1530076771][/doublepost]So seller has just text me saying he is willing to sell her to me for $350. Would this be considered a reasonable asking price? (Again in Vic, realise they are less in QLD or NSW) Or is it still overpriced? Have no idea...
I’ll have a look around tonight and see if I can find his details. You might also find she’s more expensive just for being of breeding age. It’s pretty common.
[doublepost=1530169658][/doublepost]
Thanks Harry, appreciate this. Asking for two reasons, 1) I literally paid double the going rate for my albino Darwin a few months back. I researched the snake, care, behaviour, enclosure, etc. Everything but the price lol, only to find out the following week it was extremely overpriced. 2) There seems to be a huge gap btw Qld prices and Vic prices with Carinata. I have assertained in my 4 months of trying to secure one, that they aren’t as easy to come by in Vic, well at least not currently, but as I am a newer keeper, I wanted to confirm that this indeed correct, in which case the asking price does seem fair.

I’m with you, anything you love, snake or otherwise is worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. Being my favourite reptile combined with them not being as readily available here, to me it’s worth the asking price. In addition I could get one from an interstate keeper who I wont know from a bar of soap and also have to consider the added on freight costs.

Today I actually ‘met’ the snake. Appears very healthy and owner feeds all his snakes ‘light’. Also the owners set up for all reptiles he keeps is in immaculate order, which was impressive and gave me even more confidence.

Going to go ahead with Roughie and collect her on the weekend.
Annnnnd never mind! Lol! Congrats!

I’ll have a look around tonight and see if I can find his details. You might also find she’s more expensive just for being of breeding age. It’s pretty common.
[doublepost=1530169658][/doublepost]
Annnnnd never mind! Lol! Congrats!

Stompsy, will still get contact from you if that is ok. Not in a rush. Whenever is convenient.

Will explain in PM.

Master Maurice is loving his ceramic heat emitter of late, I swiveled his top branch towards it and found him like this before work this morning (2 degrees outside last night and I'm in QLD)! Finally being an arboreal little fellow now that he has plumped up a little.

IMG_2984.JPG IMG_2985.JPG

Looks like he's enjoying his Viv chilling out up there

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back