Burmation?... I know it's old, but I'm young and cautious...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry89

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am sure this has been asked to death in the past, but I am having issues finding articles or general advice, so please point the way to save everyone time if it's faster... Thank you in advance for your understanding, I just want a safe winter for my stubborn python.

Subject: Maurice
Breed: Rough Scaled Python
Age: 2.5 years (full length but still slim with a small head)
Weight: Was 482g on July 4th, now 460g July 21st
Location: Jimboomba - outside house (0 degrees at night to 22 degrees by day), inside enclosure hot spot 34 degrees, ambient 22-26 degrees with 24 hour heating (assisted at night)

Little dude ate all last winter (though was small for his age, he had a slow first year with food I was told) and chowed all summer/autumn, but has now refused two feeds in a row so has gone four weeks with no food. I have not lowered his hot spot temps and certainly did not power feed him to try for burmation, but am wondering if he is doing this of his own accord due to sensing the outside temps. No signs of respiratory infection, last defecation was normal, last shed all good (also the last meal he accepted on June 19th was after shed) and he is active at night, cruising around like always when the lights are out.

I am just wanting to know he will be ok until it warms up (given he has already lost weight and is looking a little dehydrated) and ask if I should keep offering him food fortnightly or wait for spring and just leave him alone to reduce his stress. Nothing is making me worry for a vet visit, I just want to give him the best setting until he is happy to eat again, and not do anything to compromise his condition. Really just looking for some good advice on what to do (I can't find much on these guys and burmating), any wisdom is appreciated.

Many thanks all.

Could well be looking for a mate as he is old enough at 2.5 yrs.
Little late to start brumation, I will be starting to warm mine up in the next few week. (No RSP's here)

Brumation needs to start in autumn, not by dropping the temp but by reducing the number of hours you have heat available. I target 6-7 hours (with BHP's) but still keep the temps up at normal basking range.

I wouldn't suggest making changes now but question why you have night time heating on, this certainly will need to stop if you want to brumate and is unnecessary unless feeding through winter, (which I note was your intention though not something I recommend with a snake after the first season)

I start by withholding food from March/April & reduce heating hours gradually in line with daylight hours, (during autumn as mentioned above). Mid to late August I start bringing the heating hours back up, once its on 9-10 hours a day and night time temps are not dropping below 12-14 I start feeding again but only small meals the first couple of feeds just to make sure they have enough heat to digest without any problems.

Thank you for your fast reply.

I have seen that many people keep temps up and feed year round without health concerns. I don't intend to breed him and was hoping to avoid burmating as his heritage is from a very warm area, I assumed the healthiest thing to do was keep temps and food up for him (like the wild ones).

If it is simply him seeking a mate, will he eat again when it's warmer and should I reduce his meal size also to be safe when I offer again in spring?

Many thanks for your understanding.

Should start eating once spring sets in.
Regardless of how you try to manipulate the environment they know its winter (breeding season).
People kid themselves when they say its healthy to feed through winter....its akin to you or I going to Macca's every night and expecting we wont get fat. Their system needs a rest. It does them good and is healthy to be brummated so long as it is done correctly.

Ok, are there any good/reliable articles on how to burmate correctly for next year that I could read so I am prepared. Also, on a side note, should I do the same with my geckos as they are housed in the same room, they have been showing summer regulation with no issues.

Thank you.

Geckos I have no idea on Im afraid.
Not sure if there is any articles on brumation but I if there is I would imagine that @Bluetongue1 or @GBWhite might be able to point you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back