Acquired snake, would like to find out the species?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilecharlie

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone can give there thoughts on what type of python is?

1EFBBB2E-825E-4597-8F69-2D115E7CC9EE.jpeg

What did the person who sold it to you say? They should have given you a record to go on your license.

What did the person who sold it to you say? They should have given you a record to go on your license.
I’m a painter and about a year ago a client gave it to me cause it was an unwanted gift and they did not want care for it and it was extremely skinny. I’m in the process now of adding it to my license. I’m very curious on finding out the species of python it is

Looks like a coastal, possible a coastal x

U can never tell these days. Can only go off what the seller tells you (unless it’s obvious)

You may be in for a tough time if the person giving it to you didn’t have it on a license. (Hopefully they did)

Not sure about underfed, looks like it has scale seperation (meaning it’s overweight/stretched)

Looks like a coastal, possible a coastal x

U can never tell these days. Can only go off what the seller tells you (unless it’s obvious)

You may be in for a tough time if the person giving it to you didn’t have it on a license. (Hopefully they did)

Not sure about underfed, looks like it has scale seperation (meaning it’s overweight/stretched)
Thanks for your opinion. I've had the snake for a year now and it has grown rapidly since, it's scale separation is due to it being fed its first small rat yesterday.

Thanks for your opinion. I've had the snake for a year now and it has grown rapidly since, it's scale separation is due to it being fed its first small rat yesterday.
Well that makes sense then :p thought it was a new acquisition

As stated, one cannot say for certain what specific form of carpet snake it is, based purely on its appearance. However, what I can tell you is that it has a colour pattern that is typical of the Northern Carpet Python (or Darwin Python, as they are commonly referred to on this site), Morelia spilota variegata.

Jag sibling at a guess. Definitely a mix with some coastal in it.

Good luck getting it put on licence. Greatly depends on what state you are in as to whether or not this will be successful and the outcome for the animal.

As stated, one cannot say for certain what specific form of carpet snake it is, based purely on its appearance. However, what I can tell you is that it has a colour pattern that is typical of the Northern Carpet Python (or Darwin Python, as they are commonly referred to on this site), Morelia spilota variegata.
Thanks for your input much appreciated!
[doublepost=1532340619,1532340221][/doublepost]
Jag sibling at a guess. Definitely a mix with some coastal in it.

Good luck getting it put on licence. Greatly depends on what state you are in as to whether or not this will be successful and the outcome for the animal.
I'm in nsw? I'm going to write a letter in detail of the situation I found the animal in and fingers crossed from there. Any suggestions?

I’ll second what P_P said. Best to keep it under the radar.
Best case scenario is the snake being seized and removed from your care.
Worst case is the snake being removed, your license revoked, all other animals seized, and a hefty fine to boot.

I’ll second what P_P said. Best to keep it under the radar.

Sorry but Im not suggesting keeping it 'under the radar'.
If found out later down the track that would be a serious breach and not worth the risk to anyone who values their licence.
At least in NSW and they do relocate animals like this which is a positive but the fact that you have already had this animal for a year may impact your chances of a successful outcome.
There was a thread on here not long ago where a new member 'adopted' an off licence animal in NSW and had to hand it over so I dont fancy your chances.

Sorry but Im not suggesting keeping it 'under the radar'.
If found out later down the track that would be a serious breach and not worth the risk to anyone who values their licence.
At least in NSW and they do relocate animals like this which is a positive but the fact that you have already had this animal for a year may impact your chances of a successful outcome.
There was a thread on here not long ago where a new member 'adopted' an off licence animal in NSW and had to hand it over so I dont fancy your chances.

And again my sleep deprived typing is getting the better of me- I wasn’t trying to suggest that you were saying to ‘keep it under the radar’. I was agreeing with what you said and adding my own personal opinion on the matter- in that the only way I believe you’d be able to keep the animal is to ‘keep it under the radar’.

As to what you SHOULD do- hand it in to a Herp society- Central Coast has a big one and I believe Hawkesbury does also. They’ll adopt it out (legally) to license holders (I’m not sure if you’d be able to apply to adopt the animal yourself, but I’d give it a shot). Just the joining fee (for the club) + the adoption fee of the animal (at CC I believe it’s $50).

@Reptilecharlie, I must apologise for being remiss. I did not look carefully enough at the patterning and mistakenly thought the barring on the body was continuous across the back. A less casual examination of the photo clearly shows that not to be the case. So please do take on board the comments of those that were more observant than I.

This was my first thought also... colours and patterning seem correct for a Top End Python/Darwin python.

Licensing is going to change in NSW soon and these animals will come off license and be looked after by Code of Practice. If you want to put it on your current license say it was gifted in. Take it to a Vet and get it identified and sexed, I normally get mine microchiped as well whilst at the Vet.

Licensing is going to change in NSW soon and these animals will come off license and be looked after by Code of Practice. If you want to put it on your current license say it was gifted in. Take it to a Vet and get it identified and sexed, I normally get mine microchiped as well whilst at the Vet.

Even if it was ‘gifted in’, it would still need to come from another licensed keeper...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back