Unexpected Death

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DSPF85

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm sad to say that my Diamond Python Kaa died last Sunday. Apart from being gutted that he had died I am baffled as to why. He was around 15-16 years old; I had had him for over 5 years; he was over 3 metres long; ate every 3 to 4 weeks; was active; he live in an enclosure that was almost 6 foot high which he climed regularly; I let him out on regular occasions too. He was in good condition and at least appeared to be in good health. The only thing out of the ordinary leading up to his death was that he kept pushing substrate into his enclosure after I cleane it last (I've used the same type for years). I also found a small amount of dried blood on the glass of his enclosure, but I couldn't find any wound on him. On Sunday he was seen circling his enclosure repeatedly. He had also filled his water with substrate again. I was not home when he was circling his enclosure, I opened his enclosure to check on him and fix his water and found he was dead. His mouth was full of substrate, but his airway, at least in his mouth look clear. There was also a small lumpy buldge a few inches down his body.

Can anyone maybe give me an idea as to what happened that killed my snake?

The only way to know for sure is to have an autopsy done but unless the body has been in cold storage (not frozen) that option has probably passed.
15-16 for a DP isnt bad tbh. While there are some that make 20+ the average for a DP in captivity would likely be under 10.

Thanks mate,

An autopsy is not an option now. He was buried not long after he was found dead. It may have just been his time.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back