MD Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noodles502

Reaction score
I don't know if this is in the right place but anyway.
I have been looking into getting a snake for a while, and I've been interested in the Murray Darling python (mainly because I like the look of them and they're apparently pretty placid).
I'm fourteen and it'll be a while before I get one (I need to save up and research a bit more), but what are your experiences with them like? I was tossing up between a MD or a spotted, but I like the idea of a larger snake. What would you guys recommend?
Also, with feeding, how often would I be feeding a MD? What size rat would it need as an adult?
Thanks in advance :)

Hi, and welcome. I think most people here are going to say to get whichever python interests you the most. I love my carpets, but I also have spotteds, a water python and a woma. I recommend getting a young one and getting used to it while it grows. By the time it's large, it won't be intimidating, but if you started with a full grown scrub python it would be a different story. Adult carpets can do well on a large rat every two or three weeks. Most pythons tolerate handling quite well, out of 40 I have 3 that strike when I go to pick them up, (two jungles and a water python). Once I pick them up they're fine.

I think I'll go with the MD :)
Where do you guys get your frozen feeders from? I was looking at the insane pet shop prices and was looking around online and found http://www.rodentfarm.com.au/
Has anyone else bought food from here? Is there anywhere else you would recommend?

Rodent farm is very reputable, but the best would be to breed your own or buy from a local small business - pet shop prices are ridicules u pay almost 50% more for half the size of a rat size (places selling 5x 100g small rats for 25$, pet shops sell the “small rats” at 5x 70g each for 35$

My first snake was a 4yo 6 foot Murray Darling, he taught me so much about snake keeping, he was and still is very placid, he taught me quite a lot. (I still have him, and he's been handled by a 4yo and complete novices, under supervision of course).

Here's a good link about snake keeping in general, its a good introduction to what snakes need, have a read of it. And article 10 road tests pythons, so also a good read in that regard.

http://www.southernxreptiles.com/RA ARTICLE PAGE.htm

Thanks for the replies!
I'll probably have a bit of a look to see if there are any breeders near me (I definitely don't have the guts to breed my own haha)

There are rat groups on Facebook where you can find local feed breeders.. I would assume people on here would be, too. Good luck!

My MD is very chilled; except for food; although this can vary from an all-out strike to a slow slide up and a slow inhalation of the rat over a 15-20 minute period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back