A woman has been taken to hospital after a suspected brown snake bite west of Townsville

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Untitled.png
KEAGAN ELDER, Townsville Bulletin
September 7, 2018

A WOMAN is suspected to have bitten by one of the world’s most venomous snakes.

Paramedics were called to a private residence Hughenden Muttaburra Road, between Hughenden and Muttaburra west of Townsville shortly after 10am.

A Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman said the woman bitten by what is thought to be bitten by a brown snake.

Eastern brown snakes are regarded the second most venomous snake in the world.

The spokesman said the woman was taken to Hughenden Hospital in a stable condition.

A Townsville snake catcher Jamie Chapel last month told the Townsville Bulletin snakes were more active at this time of year as they looked for mates and food in the warmer weather.

He was called to remove three brown snakes from a house at Railway Estate yard.

“They were together at the time (mating) when I was there looking for the other snake,” Mr Chapel said.

“It’s not uncommon to see them on the move at this time of year, looking for a mate and looking for food at the same time.”

Saint John Ambulance advises snake bite victims should immediately call triple-0 before minimising movement.

If the bite occurred on a limb, wrap it with elasticated bandage as tightly as possible and immobilise it with splints.

Once bandaged, lay down and remain completely still.

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

If the bite occurred on a limb, wrap it with elasticated bandage as tightly as possible and immobilise it with splints.

Once bandaged, lay down and remain completely still.

Hope she'll be okay, maybe it was a dry bite?

That point has me thinking........
@GBWhite @Yellowtail @Bluetongue1 @pythoninfinite

Is there any evidence that vens are more likely to dry bite (or be more potent) at this time of year?
Just thinking that if they have been laid up and not eating through the winter they could be at their most deadly if they continue to produce venom through the winter.

Paul: Venom isn't something which is produced at a constant rate and always stored until it is used. If it is used the body quickly produces more, and if it isn't used the body doesn't sit there storing up heaps of it. A strong snake in good health will have higher quality (more potent) venom and probably more of it. Snakes which routinely use more venom start to produce more. I believe snakes which are regularly milked for venom often produce more venom than normal, sort of like people who work a muscle end up with that muscle becoming larger and stronger.

A snake coming out of winter non feeding season would typically have less potent venom (though not necessarily a big difference).

I'm not sure if they would be more or less likely to give a dry bite at different times of the year, but I'd guess there would be very little difference.

Scott's short answer of 'no' is pretty good. The seasonal differences aren't especially worth worrying about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back