Urgent need help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedragon

Reaction score
I was holding my woma this morning and he is nearly at the end of his shed is basically rub it of but as i went to put her back in his enclosure he freakedout and was thrashing around and i held his abdomen part down to his tail to tight and struggled free and he ripped all he shed that was on and didnt think much of it untill i saw streaks of blood is it to be worried its under his scales as soon as i saw im litrally ****ing my self i dont know what to do but surely they might do some thing simler in the wild that will rip the sin off? I dont know

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I was holding my woma this morning and he is nearly at the end of his shed is basically rub it of but as i went to put her back in his enclosure he freakedout and was thrashing around and i held his abdomen part down to his tail to tight and struggled free and he ripped all he shed that was on and didnt think much of it untill i saw streaks of blood is it to be worried its under his scales as soon as i saw im litrally ****ing my self i dont know what to do but surely they might do some thing simler in the wild that will rip the sin off? I dont know

Why would you try and hold down a thrashing snake that's almost done with their shed?...you shouldn't be holding the snake at that stage in the first place, let alone making it even more stressed by holding it down. Pretty obvious that something bad would happen there.

Why would you try and hold down a thrashing snake that's almost done with their shed?...you shouldn't be holding the snake at that stage in the first place, let alone making it even more stressed by holding it down. Pretty obvious that something bad would happen there.
I wasnt holding it down and i had to clean his tank how else would i get him out of his enclosure maybe before putting me down for mistake i made should be giving advice in a nice matter thats im asking and not for smartarse comments please

i held his abdomen part down to his tail to tight and struggled free and he ripped all he shed that was on
Aside from that, using other tanks or tubs could help with that..But i realize this is definitely not where i should be commenting as someone with no snake in the first place.

Kind of silly to hold a snake in the process of shedding.

Without pics it’s hard to say what extent of damage was done, whether it’s a scratch, or if you ripped the scales off its skin. (Similar to ripping your finger nails off)

The only time you should handle them during a shed is to assist any retained shed (eye caps//patches that have stayed a day or 2 after shed) Otherwise just increasing humidity works fine 99% of time

Blood on a snake is never a good thing

Without pics it’s hard to say what extent of damage was done, whether it’s a scratch, or if you ripped the scales off its skin. (Similar to ripping your finger nails off)

The only time you should handle them during a shed is to assist any retained shed (eye caps//patches that have stayed a day or 2 after shed) Otherwise just increasing humidity works fine 99% of time

I was very thankful that there was no scales of you know when you peel of dried or dead skin it either bleeds or red raw thats what i think has happend

It doesnt look to bad its just that bit at the tail end i will put some betadine on the tail end bit but it stop bleeding a minute of to after it happend so hopefully lol he doest die na he will be right tho but next shed they do wont touch them just lift the hide see how there doin and change water
6e1adaf3b4c32d1e0ebefa8d15fa76e4.jpg
dc6cddcb3ba489c737d9039c812f7352.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When a snake is preparing to shed, don't interfere with it - at all. Even if it craps in its cage, leave cleaning it until after the shed. It looks to me as though the snake has had a cut underneath from thrashing around, because disrupting just the old outside skin is unlikely to cause bleeding. If it is a cut or some other damage to the skin, the snake will very likely go into shed again almost immediately or very soon. This is quite normal when they have an injury to the skin, because a scab or other damage is not good for an animal that crawls. They will shed repeatedly until the wound is healed and smooth. If this happens, leave it alone. Don't handle it until the shed is complete. Make sure if it does shed again that the skin has been shed from the tail as well - sometimes the old skin will tear at the damage site on the tail and separate from the body skin, leaving the old skin still attached to the tail.

You did say "lift the hide to see how they're doing?" did you? Do you have more than one Woma in the enclosure? If so you're asking for trouble. Pythons should never be left together in a communal cage. One day you'll come home to a bloodbath with one or both pythons severely injured or dead.

Jamie

When a snake is preparing to shed, don't interfere with it - at all. Even if it craps in its cage, leave cleaning it until after the shed. It looks to me as though the snake has had a cut underneath from thrashing around, because disrupting just the old outside skin is unlikely to cause bleeding. If it is a cut or some other damage to the skin, the snake will very likely go into shed again almost immediately or very soon. This is quite normal when they have an injury to the skin, because a scab or other damage is not good for an animal that crawls. They will shed repeatedly until the wound is healed and smooth. If this happens, leave it alone. Don't handle it until the shed is complete. Make sure if it does shed again that the skin has been shed from the tail as well - sometimes the old skin will tear at the damage site on the tail and separate from the body skin, leaving the old skin still attached to the tail.

You did say "lift the hide to see how they're doing?" did you? Do you have more than one Woma in the enclosure? If so you're asking for trouble. Pythons should never be left together in a communal cage. One day you'll come home to a bloodbath with one or both pythons severely injured or dead.

Jamie
Thanks jamie your saying it nothing to worry about. and yea ive only got one must of been a typo

Thanks jamie your saying it nothing to worry about. and yea ive only got one must of been a typo

Probably not likely to be a problem, but keep an eye on it until it looks healed. If it becomes inflamed or swollen, you need to get it to a vet for antibiotic treatment, because infections in snake tails can lead to the loss of the tail.

Jamie

Probably not likely to be a problem, but keep an eye on it until it looks healed. If it becomes inflamed or swollen, you need to get it to a vet for antibiotic treatment, because infections in snake tails can lead to the loss of the tail.

Jamie
Wait what abut the one under the feet scales im thinking of pitting betadine on the one were thw tail is but i cant reach the one under the scales

Wait what abut the one under the feet scales im thinking of pitting betadine on the one were thw tail is but i cant reach the one under the scales

A good dab of betadine on that cut should be fine, try not to get any in the cloaca.

I suppose you might want to change to a paper substrate while it heals

A good dab of betadine on that cut should be fine, try not to get any in the cloaca.

I suppose you might want to change to a paper substrate while it heals
Thanks mat will do

hi, guys, I don't know if any of will know the answer to this but I have got a 12-month-old spotted python and this morning I noticed that it had a swollen throat and I left it for the day hoping it would get better. Tonight I came home and got a card and slid open the snake's throat and found a massive air sack looking thing and hopped on here for help. The snake has also just finished shedding if that is any help. I will be going to the vet tomorrow but before that, I thought I might get some info. I hope you can help thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back