Albino differences.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheresASnakeInMyBoot

Not so new Member
Reaction score
New to this forum. Just signed up so not to sure if this topic has been covered.

Owned snakes in the past. Sold the enclosures and now purchasing a beautiful albino darwin(and a brand new enclosure to set up)
So brushing up on all information for Albinos. So far i have come across forums and information saying theres not much difference in the handling and up keep. Including lights and heating.

Basic query, does anyone have any further information on how to raise Albino Darwins. Noticed anything with theyre own? Lower lighting or any tips are well appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We
New to this forum. Just signed up so not to sure if this topic has been covered.

Owned snakes in the past. Sold the enclosures and now purchasing a beautiful albino darwin(and a brand new enclosure to set up)
So brushing up on all information for Albinos. So far i have come across forums and information saying theres not much difference in the handling and up keep. Including lights and heating.

Basic query, does anyone have any further information on how to raise Albino Darwins. Noticed anything with theyre own? Lower lighting or any tips are well appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum, there are a lot of threads here on the subject and you can search for those.
I can only speak from my experience but albino Darwins are no different to keep than natural Darwins other than they can be more placid, some are timid feeders as hatchlings and exposure to UV can be a problem with albinos. A high percentage of albino "Darwins" sold are actually cross breeds, often their parentage is not clear and this can have an effect on their behaviour and husbandry requirements. Happy to assist any way I can, do you have the python yet, how old is it and what type of enclosure?

We

Welcome to the Forum, there are a lot of threads here on the subject and you can search for those.
I can only speak from my experience but albino Darwins are no different to keep than natural Darwins other than they can be more placid, some are timid feeders as hatchlings and exposure to UV can be a problem with albinos. A high percentage of albino "Darwins" sold are actually cross breeds, often their parentage is not clear and this can have an effect on their behaviour and husbandry requirements. Happy to assist any way I can, do you have the python yet, how old is it and what type of enclosure?
In the process of purchasing. As a yearling with good feeding and handling reputation.
Still awaiting confirmation on the parents and percentages. But truthfully its not the biggest deal to me except for knowing the heritage on how its temperament can grow. But the snake is just a beautiful specimen in general and have no interest or intention of breeding now or in the future. So asking for genes hasnt been top of my list.

UV was one thing ive seen debates on. Some say they have noticed theyre Albinos do not prefer being in too bright of an enclosure and keep a dim light plus usual black ceramic heat bulb.. i can see the sense in that since as soon as im out the door sunnies are straight on my head haha.

A
In the process of purchasing. As a yearling with good feeding and handling reputation.
Still awaiting confirmation on the parents and percentages. But truthfully its not the biggest deal to me except for knowing the heritage on how its temperament can grow. But the snake is just a beautiful specimen in general and have no interest or intention of breeding now or in the future. So asking for genes hasnt been top of my list.

UV was one thing ive seen debates on. Some say they have noticed theyre Albinos do not prefer being in too bright of an enclosure and keep a dim light plus usual black ceramic heat bulb.. i can see the sense in that since as soon as im out the door sunnies are straight on my head haha.

Albinos have no natural protection so UV can cause skin cancers.

A

Albinos have no natural protection so UV can cause skin cancers.
My thoughts exactly. Thank you for confirming. I will browse these threads some more for Albino related topics. Thanks

UV is pointless for any python, and more harmful to an albino than a normal.

Other than that, they're just another Carpet Python.

This is my new guy. Excited to watch him grow and form colour. Got some new vines etc for his enclosure, so once he settles in his enclosure I'll put him in secluded container so i can upgrade his enclosure without causing stress or quick temperature drop.
fe7a35f31ed7e023dd7ca14bef110b2f.jpg
6996c679d791052e96c5b7d0b8cda1be.jpg

This is my new guy. Excited to watch him grow and form colour. Got some new vines etc for his enclosure, so once he settles in his enclosure I'll put him in secluded container so i can upgrade his enclosure without causing stress or quick temperature drop.
fe7a35f31ed7e023dd7ca14bef110b2f.jpg
6996c679d791052e96c5b7d0b8cda1be.jpg

Watching mine change colours has been the best part!

https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/albino-darwin-stages.221099/

Feel free to check this out and post your updates :)

Great thread. Showing the inbetween stages. My one hatched in Jan this year so will be good to see the progression. Got any enclosure pictures for your Albino? Id love to see the set up.

Great thread. Showing the inbetween stages. My one hatched in Jan this year so will be good to see the progression. Got any enclosure pictures for your Albino? Id love to see the set up.

i lack creativity, so i just have news paper, a hide box, a branch, and a water bowl :p (+another taco box in the cool end, that shes only used once to poop in.. so had to chuck it)
[doublepost=1538876129,1538875984][/doublepost]
18ce958d-3f71-4ae4-b065-3c1c9045e2bf-jpeg.325329
this is her now

Ive been on a tonne of enclosure pics on here and google just in awe of what some people put together. Including separation boards from warm side to cool side and humidity guages and everything. Ive never even thought of humidity enclosures until last night haha

Ive been on a tonne of enclosure pics on here and google just in awe of what some people put together. Including separation boards from warm side to cool side and humidity guages and everything. Ive never even thought of humidity enclosures until last night haha

Humidity isnt really a problem unless theres shedding issues, which can be solved with a quick water spray or change the water to warm water and watch it condensate.

I plan on changing to a bay set up, and adding a barrier between hot end and cool end to provide "exercise" if u will, rather than just squirming from one side to the other, giving them something to climb over to reach the desired side

Humidity isnt really a problem unless theres shedding issues, which can be solved with a quick water spray or change the water to warm water and watch it condensate.

I plan on changing to a bay set up, and adding a barrier between hot end and cool end to provide "exercise" if u will, rather than just squirming from one side to the other, giving them something to climb over to reach the desired side
That makes perfect sense. Heres my enclosure for now. Got to add the greenery thats sitting on top. Plus another climbing area to cool section ( hard to see the black ceramic bulb in top right on photo)
c07d157574461d0a18c64d23b63642bf.jpg

What you using as a substrate?
Looks like wood shavings but maybe my eyes decieve me.

What you using as a substrate?
Looks like wood shavings but maybe my eyes decieve me.
Its something close to that. I dont like it at all haha. Lady at petshop brought her albino off the same breeder i did and she uses this as well as the petshop does. This week im planning on changing it to fine kritter crumble.

If its Chipsi or Aspen its fine.
There has been lots of discussion over the use of wood shavings throughout the hobby for many years and its generally regarded as one to steer clear of.

If its Chipsi or Aspen its fine.
There has been lots of discussion over the use of wood shavings throughout the hobby for many years and its generally regarded as one to steer clear of.
Forgot the brand but im already set on changing it out this week. It seems more suited to rats than snakes. Fine kritter will be on there possibly tomorrow. Ill be buying it today

Ok this is only my third python. Ive been more cautious with everything i can being Albino.

Now to make a statement and follow with a question. My other two pythons always ate and then curled up in their hidey hole to digest... my Albino however decided to climb up the vine and curl up in the corner draped over the vine.

Ive seen pythons strike food whilst on a branch. But never seen one climb to digest. Anyone elses pythons do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok this is only my third python. Ive been more cautious with everything i can being Albino.

Now to make a statement and follow with a question. My other two pythons always ate and then curled up in their hidey hole to digest... my Albino however decided to climb up the vine and curl up in the corner draped over the vine.

Ive seen pythons strike food whilst on a branch. But never seen one climb to digest. Anyone elses pythons do this?
This is sort of normal, my coastal will go up to the heat after a small feed, with a big feed he will wait a few days then go up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back