Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FancyTuna03

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Caitlin. Firstly I live in WA, so if/when I ask for suggestions/recommendations for various products etc, please try and keep it local. :)
I am looking to get a Western Bearded Dragon at some point in the next few years. I have loved animals for my whole life and have recently gained an interest in the more exotic pets ie; birds and reptiles.
In the past; I have had dogs, bunnies, rats, hermit crabs, goldfish (unintentional) and we even had this random giant grasshopper that would continually visit my household when I was younger. I have volunteered at Native Arc; a native animal rescue and rehabilitation group, so I have learnt the basics about reptiles via dealing with very angry bluetongues
While in the future I would love a snake, as I am 17 and live with my snake fearing father I figured it would be an interesting and educational experience to own a Western Bearded Dragon beforehand. Also so I could learn what I would be getting myself into, before diving in too deep.

So my first question is; What is something you wish you knew before getting your reptile?
[doublepost=1540199715,1540186962][/doublepost]Would people mind telling me where they got their scaly friend from, any good breeders and things to look for when buying a beardie?

Hi mate just a heads up but beardies and lizards as far as I know are actually harder and more complicated too look after than snakes. Maybe getting yourself a little stimmie or children's python and giving dad a good scare would be a better place to start

Hi mate just a heads up but beardies and lizards as far as I know are actually harder and more complicated too look after than snakes. Maybe getting yourself a little stimmie or children's python and giving dad a good scare would be a better place to start

I would actually get thrown out of the house. He haaaaates them and is very stubborn in his ways. Like father like daughter.
[doublepost=1540281682,1540281629][/doublepost]
The vast majority of what you hear from reptile (and other animal) people is untrue.

Great. Care to explain?

I would actually get thrown out of the house. He haaaaates them and is very stubborn in his ways. Like father like daughter.
[doublepost=1540281682,1540281629][/doublepost]

Great. Care to explain?

He’s saying people a vast majority of people just ride bandwagon of “questionable advice” when it could be seen as useless or detrimental

A classic example is people tub feeding snakes (moving them from enclosure to feed in a tub) they think it reduces stress and makes them more handlable. However it involves moving them, feeding them, then picking them up right after they just ate. To put them back in the enclosure, see the counter productivity?

Great. Care to explain?

Pretty self explanatory, isn't it? But, to expand, most of the advice and information you'll get is questionable at best and outright wrong at worst, sometimes even deliberately so, for various reasons. Pet shops want to sell you stuff, breeders don't want competition, more people seem to finally be waking up to the fact that most vets are con men. It's a cutthroat world. Then there are the newbies and idiots who simply have no clue and talk crap, often just regurgitating whatever nonsense they've heard, or people want to sound smart so just make stuff up, or they make up lies or sometimes come up with stories they believe to make their animals sound good. An example of that is inherrent genetic flaws directly caused by particular mutations falsely being able to be 'fixed' by outcrossing. Most people believe this myth to be true and many falsely claim to have done it. Sometimes if they fluke a few good animals they honestly believe they have done it. This paragraph is more than I particularly felt like typing out, but I could write a large book about the lies and myths of the herp world.

My cannibalistic solitary beardie hasn’t eaten the other one in 5.8years! So it’s safe to do

*smaller less dominant beardie then gets eaten by its roomMate*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back