Drivers urged to slow down for turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
masthead-main (14).png
OCTOBER 18 2018
Dani Brown

r0_240_4496_2998_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
BE CAREFUL: Goolwa resident Sally Geschmay and Alexandrina Wildlife Support Group chair Deanne Smith put out signs on Kessell Road near the Alexandrina Council depot to urge people to watch out for turtles. Photo: Dani Brown.

A community initiative is urging motorists on Kessell Road at Goolwa to take extra care as eastern long-necked turtles become more active in the area.

Goolwa resident Sally Geschmay and Alexandrina Wildlife Support Group chair Deanne Smith put out signs on the road near the council depot on Monday, October 15 after seeing a large group of the turtles crossing the road.

“I came out expecting the turtles to be nesting, and there ended up being babies,” Miss Smith said.

“We saw 20 on Monday, we were able to help them but unfortunately two died.”

The pair helped the turtles across the road to the nearby ponds.

“If you see a turtle on the road, you should put it to the side they’re heading to,” Miss Smith said.

Ms Geschmay made the signs after seeing Miss Smith’s post on Facebook urging people to slow down on the road.

“People should be more aware, they’re an endangered species and we should try to protect them,” she said.

They are in the process of requesting council put up proper signs, but said their homemade signs would have to do until then.

“I hope people get aware and maybe the council get on board after elections with the community to signpost the area,” Ms Geschmay said.

Miss Smith said people should keep an eye out from now, but especially around the height of nesting in November.

Might be more effective to spread a rumour that turtles' shells are so hard that running over them will burst tires, damage rims and bugger up the suspension (like hitting running over a big rock at speed - even idiot hoons wont do that).
In reality there are some real cretins behind the steering wheels of cars (and trucks) and they seem to get their sadistic jollies by running over live reptiles, I've even seen some of these a-holes swerve in order to aim to run over snakes, lizards and other small native animals. Dashcams on cars following them and a call to the cops or RSPCA or national parks is the best way to deal with them as the only language they understand is a big fine imposed by a magistrate.

Last edited:
In Sydney peak hour your are more likely to get passed by a turtle...… just saying.
Not very many lizards , snakes or turtles trying to cross or bask on main roads in Sydney where it's a just a concrete asphalt and brick desert except maybe way out west and southwest where the new subdivisions and suburbs where there are still remnant woodlands and farms about.
[doublepost=1541999037,1541998667][/doublepost]
nice one mate, you know Sydney peak hour goes for 24 hours so you will get passed by lots of turtles
Reminds me why I avoid driving to or in Sydney , and why I'd never consider living or working there .

Not very many lizards , snakes or turtles trying to cross or bask on main roads in Sydney where it's a just a concrete asphalt and brick desert except maybe way out west and southwest where the new subdivisions and suburbs where there are still remnant woodlands and farms about.

City people are the primary threat to sustainability. Many of them just like to get on their moral high horse to virtue signal about saving the planet, while driving it faster into the ground. Just look at Melbourne where people in the city vote communist, just because they are guilty about how much they are driving anthropocentric ecological destruction.

Also slowing down for turtles is rarely required, they are smarter than kangaroos and don't jump in front of you. I have seen lots of people who don't intentionally run them over, even when it is easy.

Last edited:
All that's required is that motorists pull over (if safe to do so) and help the turtle across the road in the direction it's heading. Chelodina longicollis will often travel up to 500 meters from their water hole and up to 100m elevation to nest. Macrochelodina expansa will travel 2.5km from water to nest. Such overland expeditions means they're almost certain to cross a road now thanks to urban sprawl.
7574-1380210_626855240679755_210889552_n.jpg

I'm with you Kev,I want to keep as many reptiles,amphibians,native mammals alive as possible;sadly there seems to be many people who don't give a $h17. I move as many critters as I can but it seems I am in the minority :(.
In fact I hate the beginning of summer, I call it reptile dieing season

I'm with you Kev,I want to keep as many reptiles,amphibians,native mammals alive as possible;sadly there seems to be many people who don't give a $h17. I move as many critters as I can but it seems I am in the minority :(.
In fact I hate the beginning of summer, I call it reptile dieing season
Yeah you're right... reptile dying season is exactly what it is and it freaking sucks!
:(:(:(
15078911_1210325315721031_7581884092455329753_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back