Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miacons

Reaction score
I think my jungle carpet python may have scale rot and/or vicious scale burn?

He is very rough to touch on his underside, especially on the end of his tail - His scales look totally mutilated, "healthier" parts are bright red/pink. I think he may have gotten ontop of his heating lamp that has a metal cage around it and scratched/burnt that particular area.

I have removed all substrate, replaced with newspaper. Turned the heating right down to 15° and wrapped a cloth around the metal cage that encloses the heating lamp.

I fed him this morning and he took the rat easy like he always does but there is a little bit of dried blood on the newspaper when i checked on him tonight

His behaviour seem normal. Not lethargic or over energetic.

He had a very bad shed a couple weeks ago, where his whole body was covered in dried patches of skin - one of his eye caps didnt come off. I carefully removed it with tweezers but i could not remove the rest of the skin around his head/eye area (when he ate today some of it came off)

I have been bathing him in betadine solution to disinfect his scales.

What concerns me the most is, lately when i pick him up, just before his mid-section, his body makes a squishing/gurgling type noise that never use to happen before. Im not sure if i should be concerned about this?

Obviously i have him booked into a vet on monday, but im just hoping (unfortunately) some of you have had similar experiences and can provide advice with what may potentially be wrong with him and how i can accelerate his health?

3-4 year old jungle carpet python
Temperature was 28° reduced to 15°
I dont have a humidifier gauge but water bowl is kept on the cooler end of his enclosure. I use to mist the tank but stopped as i felt it was unnecessary (OBVIOUSLY NOT).

Help with burnScreenshot_20181122-194816_Gallery.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have pics of the snake? I wouldn't turn the heating down IMO, just remove his access to the heat lamp (if there's a branch etc). It's hard to say what it is without pics, and even then it's just peoples opinions, so a good reptile vet would be the go.

Temp down to 15 and you feed it, probably not the best thing you could do. And then you wrap a cloth around the heat source?? Really
Pics are necessary for anyone to be of help but the very best recommendation is that you get your snake to a decent vet as planned.

You did take it to the vet didn't you? They should have given you some form of treatment plan, surely.

How on earth did the poor thing get burnt so badly?

Update: not scale rot but a nasty burn. Advice welcome

Now you uploaded a pic its fairly obvious that its a burn.
You can treat the burn but you need to remove/remedy the animals ability to get burned. You mention a cage around the heat source but is the cage so close to the heat that it is also extremely hot? (Or has the animal managed to get itself inside the gcage which some do).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back