Jungle "bloodline?" identification

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vodkashot

Reaction score
Hi guys,

From what I've read on here there are different bloodlines (sub-species?) of Jungle pythons?

Just wondering where I could find more information about this and possibly identifying what kind of Jungle I may have?

(Purchased from Kellyville pets)

Sorry if the question sounds dumb, I am new to snakes/reptiles.

post a picture

theres different "types" from black and gold jungles to regular jungles to axanthic jungles

last i knew, KVP only sells regular jungles

jungle python is a bold move for a new keeper ;) lil chainsaws they are haha (you will be fine)

0e5ee853c21a959040ce2ee1a907b0ff.png

https://gyazo.com/0e5ee853c21a959040ce2ee1a907b0ff
These are the different morphs

As for finding out WHERE your jungles came from/ who the breeders were. you would have to ask KVP, but from what i know they hatchlings from lots of people

Last edited:
KVP has both ‘normal’ Jungles and Zebra Jungles. Main difference between them there is the price tag.

KVP has both ‘normal’ Jungles and Zebra Jungles. Main difference between them there is the price tag.
kvp reptile prices are a joke haha - when I got my first snake, it was like a last second decision for my bday 5 years ago

350$ for a coastal:[]

Now they want 500-800 for “tri platinum super duper ultra Fluro albino” which translates to “regular albino with a little bit of pink”

There’s only one reptile member I trust there and that’s Ben Desson

The rest from experience try to sell you a tonne of doodoo for extra sales to their name (they even stick a sticker with their name onto anything you pickup that theysay u need)

In saying that, I haven’t seen or heard of any Sick animals on display or sold, so that’s something

kvp reptile prices are a joke haha - when I got my first snake, it was like a last second decision for my bday 5 years ago

Now they want 500-800 for “tri platinum super duper ultra Fluro albino” which translates to “regular albino with a little bit of pink”

The rest from experience try to sell you a tonne of doodoo for extra sales to their name (they even stick a sticker with their name onto anything you pickup that theysay u need)

In saying that, I haven’t seen or heard of any Sick animals on display or sold, so that’s something

TBH I think it’s a matter of time. They don’t seem to have a good quarentine system whatsoever and they’re constantly bringing in new animals. It’s going to take one sick animal, or one animal with mites to overrun their entire store.

In the middle of renos I remember seeing the most appalling thing in birds. Guy comes in with a box of baby budgies. From what I can tell he’s a regular supplier of these birds. He gets his money, worker gets the birds.
She literally chucks them in a display cage which has at least 15-20 other full cages in the unit. No food or water (and I was there for about 30 mins after they got put in). No cover. No quarentine. And birds- especially stressed young ones are extremely prone to illness.

Not to mention none of the cages were locked. Cages at kid level just had a lock hung on them but not shut. Would have taken someone less than a minute to open the entire unit on one side. No wonder things get stolen from them. And without fail every time I go there, there’s always a bunch of non-local finches hanging around on the roof (check it out next time you go- they’re small but colourful)

If you buy anything from a high overhead retail store you are going to pay a lot more, KVP's air con alone costs thousands a month to run.
I think it is far more sensible to buy any animal direct from a reputable breeder, one with a closed virus free collection. I don't want to end up in court so I'm not naming a specific shop but I know for a fact some buy clutches of pythons from desperate sellers (why they breed animals they can't sell is another problem) at screwed down prices and then put them on sale immediately without any quarantine, it is only luck if they don't have virus issues. Generally they would have no idea of pedigree and don't care. There are well known retailers that did have supply agreements with quality breeders (not me) but wanted to screw them down to the prices of desperate sellers and ended up getting highly suspect clutches from unreliable sources just based on price. Shops obviously will try to sell novices a lot of stuff they don't need at premium prices and this is unfortunate and more reason for novices to seek advice on forums like this prior to purchase.

As for expensive "fancy" albinos, do you know how much work goes into producing high fluro albino Darwins with subtle colours? They are the result of multi generation selective breeding crossing natural Darwins and the resulting hets that have unusual colours and high fluro back to selected albinos, it's a 10 year plus project and requires a lot of knowledge and a bit of luck but you don't just stick a couple of albinos together and hope or outcross with jags or other carpet pythons to just see what you get. So they cost a bit more but look spectacular compared to average often dull looking albinos. If you just want a cheap albino you can get them for $200 but a high percentage are of unknown pedigree and often have coastal or other carpet blood which makes them dull in appearance and not as calm to handle. I think $400 for a spectacular looking guaranteed healthy pure Darwin is a better buy. I sell more than half my albinos to people referred from previous customers, they usually see their mates albino and are amazed how different they are.

The thing is @Yellowtail most novices don't know any breeders, that's why they go to pet shops. I know I bought my first pair of beardies at a petshop and I was ripped off for years on products and food because I didn't know any better. But I've been in the hobby for years now and don't buy anything from petshops because I learnt where to get better prices, as the saying goes "you can't put an old head on young shoulders"

The thing is @Yellowtail most novices don't know any breeders, that's why they go to pet shops. I know I bought my first pair of beardies at a petshop and I was ripped off for years on products and food because I didn't know any better. But I've been in the hobby for years now and don't buy anything from petshops because I learnt where to get better prices, as the saying goes "you can't put an old head on young shoulders"
That is the problem and the main reason I have been suggesting a "Breeders Directory" on this site. I still can't get my head around the price pet shops get for reptile food, like $20 for a large rat and I guess their prices for lizard food are as bad, you can understand they would have losses with live insects but frozen rats? I and a lot of others can sell frozen rats/mice for good prices but you need to buy a large order and travel to pick them up.
A distribution model so people with one or two reptiles can buy small numbers locally is needed.
Pet shops do not direct their marketing at serious owners of multiple animals, they sell to novices and impulse buyers, this is particularly the case with expensive parrots. Reasonably well off people impulse buy Macaws and Black Cockatoos as a prestige decoration for their deck or patio and have no idea they are paying more than double what a breeder will charge.

@Yellowtail
I’ve seen some of the Darwin’s you’ve produced, and I’m absolutely in love with them. Took a whole lot of self control not to get the stunning het alb Darwin you had for sale earlier. Maybe soon...

You’ve really got quality animals. The ones at KVP’s... I dunno. I didn’t like the look of them when I went last week. They seemed fairly average with price tags of up to $800 from memory. They just hype up the name and exaggerate features which are normal.

I’d happily pay $400 for a good quality albino Darwin. But I’m not paying double that for an average looking animal with a questionable background.

And yeah. I only buy things from petshops when I’m desperate or they’ve got a good sale.
Crickets are an almost weekly expense with my geckos and it’s not worth me traveling 50kms+ to go somewhere cheaper. $15 for 3 containers is what I usually end up spending every week or so depending on what the geckos are feeling like.

Enclosures- geez. First one I was stupid and forked out almost $600 for an enclosure with background + deco from KVP. Amazing customer service, not great pricing. And they claimed it would be a suitable size for my snake... yeah not so much.
But for one almost twice the size- $150 at an expo with some deco included.
Last year got really lucky at my local pet shop and got a 2ft tall ReptileOne tank for $70. Brand new. I think it was sitting in the back and they forgot about it and wanted it gone.
But normal 3ft tanks are upwards of $300 on a normal day. I gather they don’t sell many, but when they do...

@Yellowtail
I’ve seen some of the Darwin’s you’ve produced, and I’m absolutely in love with them. Took a whole lot of self control not to get the stunning het alb Darwin you had for sale earlier. Maybe soon...

You’ve really got quality animals. The ones at KVP’s... I dunno. I didn’t like the look of them when I went last week. They seemed fairly average with price tags of up to $800 from memory. They just hype up the name and exaggerate features which are normal.

I’d happily pay $400 for a good quality albino Darwin. But I’m not paying double that for an average looking animal with a questionable background.

And yeah. I only buy things from petshops when I’m desperate or they’ve got a good sale.
Crickets are an almost weekly expense with my geckos and it’s not worth me traveling 50kms+ to go somewhere cheaper. $15 for 3 containers is what I usually end up spending every week or so depending on what the geckos are feeling like.

Enclosures- geez. First one I was stupid and forked out almost $600 for an enclosure with background + deco from KVP. Amazing customer service, not great pricing. And they claimed it would be a suitable size for my snake... yeah not so much.
But for one almost twice the size- $150 at an expo with some deco included.
Last year got really lucky at my local pet shop and got a 2ft tall ReptileOne tank for $70. Brand new. I think it was sitting in the back and they forgot about it and wanted it gone.
But normal 3ft tanks are upwards of $300 on a normal day. I gather they don’t sell many, but when they do...
If I had the money and enclosure, I would have definitely snapped up some of Kens animals when they went up for sale ;3;

@Yellowtail , I am with you on the breeders register,we have 1 on ABDF but once again newbies don't know about these forums. For instance I didn't find this forum until I had my license for a few years ( first reptile forum I ever found). It is great for people who know whats going on but it takes time for newbies to find out , and that's usually years after they get ripped off. Most people only buy 1 reptile and never learn any different.

@Yellowtail , I am with you on the breeders register,we have 1 on ABDF but once again newbies don't know about these forums. For instance I didn't find this forum until I had my license for a few years ( first reptile forum I ever found). It is great for people who know whats going on but it takes time for newbies to find out , and that's usually years after they get ripped off. Most people only buy 1 reptile and never learn any different.
That's especially the case in the turtle scene... a lot of people acquire a new hatchling turtle on a whim (especially from December to March each year) with a store bought (all you'll ever need complete turtle setup) and they take the store's advice as gospel and when they get handed REAL advice based on years of experience, and it goes completely against everything the store told them... they don't want to hear it... they don't want to hear that their 2ft 50 litre aquarium is completely inadequate and that UVB lighting and heating is essential and that turtles cannot survive eating frozen turtle dinners... Too many people just want to get told what they're doing is perfect and nothing else. When their turtle is dead in 2-3 years they think that's just normal or they say "there must have been an underlying issue" and blame the store or the breeder for selling them a dodgy turtle.. it has absolutely nothing to do with their malpractice and ignorance at all in their eyes.

Sometimes they know about the forums but believe we're all just a bunch of overzealous fanatics who take keeping reptiles way too far with unnecessarily elaborate and realistic enclosures that provide the necessary conditions for the reptiles to thrive. You'd be amazed at how many turtles I've seen kept in bare glass tanks with nothing but water and the turtle itself. Apparently that's all they need. Go figure.
A small percentage of newby keepers can be brought around and educated if they have a genuine passion and interest... the vast majority end up losing interest when a forum load of people tell them their setup is sh** and completely inadequate and to do some research... the reptile ends up suffering and dying or gets dumped.
A year passes and the next wave of newbies presents itself when the silly season arrives.
Man I hate Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back