Genetics question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathewh210

Reaction score
Hey ive recently purchased a smooth knob tail gecko which was advertised as 66% het for paterneless. My question is does the percentage mean that theoretically 66% of its offspring will be patternless or does it mean there is only 66% chance of my gecko carrying the paternless gene. Sorry if this doesnt make sense but thanks in advance.

as far as im aware 66% means that one of the parents was a 50% het

But yes.. it means it has a "66%" chance of carrying the gene

Last edited:
When you think about it, to determine the possible genetics of offspring one needs to know the genetics of BOTH parents. So this statement can only apply to the genetics of your one gecko.

Both parents must be heterozygous. Is anyone one interested in an explanation as to why that is the case?

When you think about it, to determine the possible genetics of offspring one needs to know the genetics of BOTH parents. So this statement can only apply to the genetics of your one gecko.

Both parents must be heterozygous. Is anyone one interested in an explanation as to why that is the case?
Coz we don’t know if they carry the gene - so they would be 50% carriers Mr. Bluetongue!

as far as im aware 66% means that one of the parents was a 50% het

But yes.. it means it has a "66%" chance of carrying the gene

It's really admirable that you are so enthusiastic, but you respond to so many posts on this forum without really being able to do so possible. It would be beneficial to everyone to channel some of that enthusiasm into research and becoming more informed before responding, and if you are not sure, often it is best not to say anything. You are filling the threads up with a lot of misinformation over the last few months and this does much more harm than good. Keep up the enthusiasm, it's absolutely brilliant, but giving people the wrong idea really is harmful.

If one of the parents was a 50% het, the offspring would be 25% hets, not 66% hets.

66% hets come from two parents which are both 100% hets. A quarter of their offspring are visuals, the other three quarters are all 66% hets.
[doublepost=1546836432,1546836299][/doublepost]
Hey ive recently purchased a smooth knob tail gecko which was advertised as 66% het for paterneless. My question is does the percentage mean that theoretically 66% of its offspring will be patternless or does it mean there is only 66% chance of my gecko carrying the paternless gene. Sorry if this doesnt make sense but thanks in advance.

The latter. The 66% refers to the chances of the individual animal being a het. It either is or isn't, but it's an unknown. According to what we do know (it is a non visual and the parents were both 100% hets), there is a 66% chance of it being a het and a 33% chance of it not being one. It either is or isn't, but we don't yet know.

Thanks Sdaji, I didn't comment on this thread as it is better coming from someone with formal qualifications, It amazes me that with all the information available so many experienced reptile people think that a "het" has somehow percentages of the genetic trait rather than simply a percentage chance of carrying the gene as it is.
The fact is if you are trying to breed a morph with hets anything other than 100% is like trying to win lotto and you can waste years for nothing. Putting a visual male with several female 66% hets is ok if you bred them and no 100% is available but not if you have to buy them, better spend more and get a 100%.

Coz we don’t know if they carry the gene - so they would be 50% carriers Mr. Bluetongue!
What’s with the attitude? You indicted you were not 100% certain so I clarified it for you and politely offered to explain why for you or others.

I have not been on the forum for a while due to personal reasons. Given this reception first up I decided it wasn’t worth returning to contribute. However I was compelled to post this morning. Have also responded to a few posts and will reconsider my decision in the meantime.

Well explained Sdjai.

What’s with the attitude? You indicted you were not 100% certain so I clarified it for you and politely offered to explain why for you or others.

I have not been on the forum for a while due to personal reasons. Given this reception first up I decided it wasn’t worth returning to contribute. However I was compelled to post this morning. Have also responded to a few posts and will reconsider my decision in the meantime.

Well explained Sdjai.
Hi BT1, my sincerest apologies that you took this reply in the wrong way, i was going as the student - teacher approach, not as a rude comment with "attitude"

No, it does not make me feel better, but it is a positive comment. I have had exactly the same experience on a number of occasions, where I am sure my brain stopped working while writing a response. You read it again a few days later and wonder "What the hell was I thinking?". No worries and just take heed of the advice given.
Cheers,
Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back