Defensive diamond

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danger noodle

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m a newbie snake owner of only a couple of days and need some help, I have just bought my first snake which is a diamond python of 2-3 years of age and have kept him in a large storage tub until my enclosure arrived today, now that it’s here I cannot get the snake out of the tub as she is very defensive and hisses at me whenever I touch her, I know In being a snake owner I’m going to get bitten sooner or later but would prefer not to, any tips on maybe calming the snake or something so I can move her into a proper enclosure? Thanks.

Hey guys, I’m a newbie snake owner of only a couple of days and need some help, I have just bought my first snake which is a diamond python of 2-3 years of age and have kept him in a large storage tub until my enclosure arrived today, now that it’s here I cannot get the snake out of the tub as she is very defensive and hisses at me whenever I touch her, I know In being a snake owner I’m going to get bitten sooner or later but would prefer not to, any tips on maybe calming the snake or something so I can move her into a proper enclosure? Thanks.
possibly putting a towel over it? it could just be cage defensive though, in which case it's not really easy to calm it in the enclosure and in which case it'll also probs be just fine and calm in it's enclosure. (FYI: i've never kept a snake and this is simply from what i know about snakes, people with snakes here could probably give you a much better answer than me.)

If you don't have a hook, remove all the furniture eg hides, branches and water bowls then slowly tip the snake out on to a softish surface like carpet or a bed then bite the bullet. Reach down, ignore the hissing and pick the snake up. Chances are he/she wont bite you, if it does a Diamond bite is normally pretty mild, they generally might give a nip but then let go unlike some other breeds like Womas or BHP's. I have a Diamond that hisses and occasionally has a half hearted strike when I am getting him out, but once out he is an angel. Let us know how you go.

If the enclosure is large enough put the tub in the enclosure and take the lid off it and let the snake come out in its own time. If it's not big enough and the door is at the front of the enclosure loosen or unlock the lid, open the enclosure door, hold the tub securely up against the door and slide the lid up or across to allow just enough room for the snake to relocate from the tub into the enclosure. If it's a top opening enclose, do the same with the lid, lower the tub into the enclose while holding the lid in place and tip it on it's side while removing the lid and release the snake into the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back