Bearded dragon setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bundy07

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys new to lizards after having a stimmie for nearly 9 yrs just getting alot of mixed info basically i am setting up my 4ft fish tank to house 1 beardie just wondering what is the best way do i put the basking light and uvb light at the same end and leave the other side with nothing, also i have read that the nec t10 fluros are just as good as the proper bought reptile fluros is this true and if so can u use the uv e27 20w blacklights they sell in bunnings or is that just a party light just trying to get all the best info i can before i set it up and buy the beardie cheers in advance

Hey Bundy,first up yes both lights at 1 end. You need a warm end (38C) and a cool end (28C) with a basking spot of about 40-42C.
Nec Flouro's are similar to the blacklights used in old fashioned discos and aren't very popular ( I have 1 but only use it when need a desperate backup)
The other blacklights you mention are useless.You have few options otherwise, genuine reptile lights from pet shops are very dear but I have another option.I buy 5UV Sylvania Reptistar tubes from my tradie outlet for about half the price of pet shops. If you can give your beardie some outside time in real sun then these will help

Ok so when u say warm end 38c is that at the very end of my tank and 40-42 a bit back from the end and directly on a branch or something where it will bask if that makes sense also if my tank is 4ft how much of the tank should have uvb light

Ok so when u say warm end 38c is that at the very end of my tank and 40-42 a bit back from the end and directly on a branch or something where it will bask if that makes sense also if my tank is 4ft how much of the tank should have uvb light

38c as the ambient air temperature but 40c as directly on the log/rock. You can afford to be slightly cooler than that if your temps don't get up exactly that high (my beardie prefers a 35c hot side). UVB light should cover at least the basking area but ideally the whole setup. UVB deteriorates rapidly over distance so it won't be effective more than 30cm away. Your beardie should actively seek out UVB to bask under so it shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as you have it close to the basking spot. If you get a 3ft UVB tube that should be sufficient.

yes you have it right, and ideally you would have a long UV tube to cover most of the tank,so a 3' tube in a 4' tank would be fine.
And as ramrocket said you need the UV to be about 30cm from the basking spot so you need an elevated basking spot,a log or rock under the heat lamp would be ideal.I would put the heat lamp about 1' from the end.

Awesome thanks guys now need to decide if i do want a beardie or a blue tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back