Juvenile snakes more venomous?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony88

Reaction score
Hi guys, is it a myth that juvenile snakes are more venomous than adults?

I am lead to believe the opposite.

I believe they are the exact same but I’m sure there’s some studies out there on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's a myth, with various versions.

The venoms are sometimes a little bit different between juveniles and adults. A typical situation is the venom of juveniles being a little more effective against lizards/frogs and the venom of adults being more effective against birds/mammals, to suit the typical prey choice at different stages of life, but generally this is minor and would make juveniles less venomous to humans, along with the far lower venom yields which make juveniles much less dangerous. There are also some silly versions which say juveniles inject more venom by choice or because they can't control their bodies etc, which are all baseless nonsense. Herpers love a good story and if they don't have one they'll just make something up, and the others will be eager to believe it.

Myth - think it like this Small head small venom glands - big head big venom glands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back